CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

HELP! Snake is acting very odd!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
edenlore
HELP! Snake is acting very odd!

My ten-month-old snake is acting completely out of character. Normally he's fairly docile, just likes to sit on his log or burrow in his substrate (the simple things in life, I suppose!)... He's a great feeder too, never missed a meal since I got him about 8 months ago.

But tonight I returned, having been out for about 6 hours, and he had somehow managed to soak his tank completely. His water dish is too heavy to knock over, so I can only surmise that he must have been thrashing about and splashed the water all over the place. The dish had been refilled before I left and was empty when I got back. The paper substrate was soaked, and that had resulted in a lot of evaporation and condensation all over the plastic of the tank.

Could have coped with him just being messy, but when I opened the tank he was just lying, perfectly still, along the back of the tank, and his body scrunched up in what I can only desribe as 'squiggle-like' (to be technical about it...). Like the 's' shape they make when drawing back to strike, except all along hid body and really tightly. When I moved my hand over him he didn't move, and when picked up, he seemed lethargic.

I cleaned the tank and changed the substrate and since putting him back in he's gotten more active, but why on earth would he be acting so strangely?

Thanks in advance for all help and advice.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Rich in KY
You need to check the temps in his viv immediately!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
edenlore
72 in the cold end and about 76/77 in the warm...

Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Rich in KY
How is he doing now?

Is there any way his viv was bumped or knocked around?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
edenlore
There was no-one here except the cat (who happens to be a very small kitty and absolutely terrified of the snake-- avoids at all costs...). I suppose it's possible she knocked his tank, but I think it's highly unlikely. Any ideas as to the weirdness?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Rich in KY
The spilled water could have resulted from him climbing and falling in his water dish.

It is the lethargic part that I would be concerned with. Do you have plenty of hides in his viv?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
edenlore
He's got a little hut-type thing (he just about fits into it but I think that's why he likes it), a log under which there is enough room for him to hide, and several layers of paper substrate (he spends a lot of time under there and just moves about 'undercover' as he pleases.)

Old 01-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
edenlore
Also, he's gotten more active in the past few minutes. He's exploring the tank. He knows tomorrow is feeding day, I bet.

Why would he scrunch himself up like that though?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Rich in KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenlore View Post
Also, he's gotten more active in the past few minutes. He's exploring the tank. He knows tomorrow is feeding day, I bet.

Why would he scrunch himself up like that though?
He couldv'e been that way just because he was asleep. That would also explain the lethargic part.

I would still keep an eye on his temps. But otherwise just watch and see how he does.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
edenlore
OK. Thanks so much for your help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google