CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Won't come out of hiding!

Old 01-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
RainbowMary
Won't come out of hiding!

Hi, I bought my Corn Snake 5 weeks ago, I left her 2 weeks to settle in, then on the first feed she took it and she was fine, she drank from her bowl, always out and about at night, always went to the warm side if she was cool etc and no problem handling.
But now shes changed regardless of what the tempurature is in the tank she will not come out of her hiding rock, she hasnt came out at night for the last week and every time I've took her out the tank she excretes, I went to feed her last night when I usually would and she refused......she also keeps striking at me, what went wrong please help?!?

Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
snakewispera snr
.. might be feeling safe in his house... who knows?
I wouldn't worry though they all have their moments in the first few months its quite normal..
Is he in shed?
MIKE

Old 01-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
djfreebase
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
.. might be feeling safe in his house... who knows?
I wouldn't worry though they all have their moments in the first few months its quite normal..
Is he in shed?
MIKE
might be blue. Also some snakes excrete as a defence mechanism.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Topazfyre
Welcome to the forums! These sound like fairly common problems, but before I can say for sure I have a few questions...

1. How old is your new corn?
2. If it's an adult, do you know if it was handled much prior to your getting it?
3. How large is the viv? (10 gallon, 20 gallon?)
4. What are the temperatures for the hot and cool sid of the viv, and what do you use for heating? (If you have an Under the Tank Heater [UTH] be sure to get the temp on the glass floor.)
5. How many hides and decorations do you have in the viv?
6. What substrate are you using?
7. What is the humidity in the viv?
8. How often do you hold your snake?

If your hatchling is young, every one of your issues with her could be explained by it, but any of these factors could also play a role in your snake's behavior.

Off Topic: We'd love to see pics of your snake!

Old 01-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
djfreebase
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfreebase View Post
might be blue. Also some snakes excrete as a defence mechanism.
I think "musking" is the correct term, i used to own garter snakes that would often musk when handled. Once settled down this should stop.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
RainbowMary
Ok MY corn is 3 months old, I'm not sure how big the viv is its a really small plastic one that the dude in the shop said she could stay in up untill she is about 8 months,
I have a heat mat placed under half of the tank and the temperature set on the thermostat is 85 but the thermometer on the back of the tank fluctuates alot it rarely ever says its at 80 even when i turn it up, it has a sensor that is apparantly meant to regulate the temperature, she has a rock hide and a water bowl other than that its too small to put much in, I was told to put her hiding place on the cool side.
She has Aspen bedding and as for the humidity i have no clue what humidity its at, how do you tell?
And lastly at first I left her a week then handled her once every 2 days then I was handling her breifly once a day maybe miss a day sometimes....where as the last few days I stopped handling her to see if she would calm down.

Thanks for helping me out I didn't expect to get so many replys.....its nice to know theres ppl there to ask the trivial questions that migiht be stupid but make me panic lol, I'm so attatched to her I just want her to be comfortable

Old 01-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
snakewispera snr
You sound like your getting it right... like I said first off... it happens... don't worry
MIKE

Old 01-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Topazfyre
Yeah, most of what you've said sounds pretty good. The only things I'd really recommend are maybe adding a few more hides and getting a hygrometer (this is the instrument used to measure humidity in the viv). A hygrometer can be found for cheap at Wal-Mart or someplace, and hides aren't hard to improvise. You can even use the cardboard toiletpaper or papertowel rolls for hides if nothing else. It's nice to give them the freedom of moving to the hot side or the viv without compromising her security. As long as you aren't handling her after she feeds (for 48 hrs at least) and more than once a day, she should get better about biting over time. Adding more viv decorations will make her feel more secure with more places to hide, encouraging her to come out more often. Also, many corns that young prefer to stay hidden anyways, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

All in all, it sounds like most of your problems are caused by your snake just being young, and she will probably grow out of it with time. I wouldn't worry that it is anything that you're doing. Good luck, and I hope this was some help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google