CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"Back to Basics" feeding trick....

Old 09-08-2003, 01:27 PM   #1
carol
"Back to Basics" feeding trick....

Well, I am feeling rather dumb right now and I am just trying to tell myself I am just absent minded and busy.
I admit, I house my hatchlings together by clutch. If it is a rather large clutch, I'll split them into a few boxes. I usually only separate the keepers. I know the risk and the downfalls, but I find I can not get good temps into those deli cups and I tend to get a lot of regurges when I use them. So it's a catch 22, it is risky for me to keep them either way. I had one clutch of 4 that 3 ate right of the bat and never ate again, 1 just never ate. I kept them all together and tried almost every trick in the book... live, heads, tails, bodys, anole scented, f/t anole, fresh anole, tease feeding, brained pink, brained anole...these little ones hung on for two months not eating a single thing. I tried extra hard with these ones since they are triple hets for hypo, bloodred and lavender. I just recently got some extra room and these non feeders got moved up into thier own personal shoe box. I left them alone to thier new private enclosure for the week and just on a whim, threw in a pink before bedtime. THEY ALL ATE!!! A plain old f/t pink. Doh! Almost too easy, why didn't I try that earlier? So for those of you, due to time and space limitations that throw thier non feeders together, you may want to try this one. Sometimes I forget the obvious, and it definately says something for the advantage of keeping them separated! Also, I think some of the more sensitive ones get stressed just being picked up and put into a feeding bag/cup. So if you have a new corn and it is not eating, don't handle it for about a week and feed in the cage at bedtime....and don't peek! Also just open the lid, throw in the pink and make yourself disappear, don't be tempted to pull the snake out of it's hide to "show" it the pinky.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google