CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"hole" in dome head

Old 09-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
Spartan66
Ah, just re-read the post....sorry, don't know how I missed where you said this just showed up. If it just showed up I really have no clue what it could be. Is there anything that could possibly be sharp inside the enclosure? maybe it injured itself trying to get out or something. Anyway, like I said...If the snake is behaving normally and there is no blood or anything coming from the hole I wouldnt worry too much. Wish I could be of more help. good luck.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
Eremita
Well, I think a hole is a bad sign. I haven't seen a lot of posts about domed heads (and none previously about holes in the head), although some folks have said that they can recede over time. I do know one of our cats got a hole in her paw due to an extra toe causing pressure on a tender area when she was active. We ended up having to have the toe removed. Holes provide an opportunity for infection in any place where they weren't designed into the creature.

Can you take her to a vet? I imagine something you will hear (and may already feel) is that a deformed hatchling is going to have a poorer chance of survival anyway, but if you are hoping that she will grow up, I think it would be best to have it checked out.

-Sean

Old 09-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #13
MegF.
It's either an injury (I had one snake that ended up with a damaged scale on her head from who knows what) or it's a birth defect that is now developing as the snake grows larger. It's possible that the skull being mis-shaped is now not meeting properly as the snake is getting bigger. It's also entirely possible that she just banged it on something and that it will heal up. My snake's injury disappeared after a couple of sheds. You'll just have to see.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #14
Annabelle
Red face Thanks

Thanks for the support. I think as long as she is active, eating, shedding ect. I will keep an eye on her. If she starts acting wierd we'll go to the vet. sence the hole appeared she seems more active.
I can not find anything sharp in her tank, but I will keep looking for that as well.
The hole looks so deep, I'm supprised it hasn't caused problems. I looked at her last shed. It happened right before the hole appeared. You can see were it was under the old skin, yet it was not an open hole.?.
I'll post if there is future progress, or if it goes bad.
thanks,
Annabelle

Old 09-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #15
MegF.
We'd love to see any progressions

Old 09-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #16
Twizzy
Aww..good luck with your little snake it is a really cutie! I will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well..Just maybe it is similar to a babies skull and will close up as it grows Good luck!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google