• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Conehead" Adult Corn?

Not sure how a kink in that location would develop, but mine with the kink had a decrease with noticeability as she grew, but it's definitely not something that fixes itself. They have those forever.

I made a little diagram.

A cone head head snake would have a lump when the red outline is. Your snake's defect is where I made the green mark.

The lump I'm seeing is where the skull and neck vertebrae join. That is not a cone head at all, but more indicative of a spinal deformity, or it could be a possible abscess.

I just really think it is in your best long term interest to have a vet check and an xray done.

Attachments

• snakeskull.jpg
    snakeskull.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 87
Snakes usually do outgrow the conehead deformity. If you look at snake fetuses- they are all coneheads.

Snakes do not outgrow kinks. Kinks may become hidden as the snake grows and bulks up, but they never go away.

If he's had it since birth, that's one thing, but if it is a new development, I would worry about some disease process causing it.

Snakes usually do outgrow the conehead deformity. If you look at snake fetuses- they are all coneheads.

Snakes do not outgrow kinks. Kinks may become hidden as the snake grows and bulks up, but they never go away.

If he's had it since birth, that's one thing, but if it is a new development, I would worry about some disease process causing it.

Did the old owner say he had the lump since birth? (I can't remember if you mentioned that already)

There was no mention of it at all when I picked him up. I just sent a text to the old owners but since they moved, I don't know if they have a new number yet or not. I guess I'll find out.

I made a little diagram.

A cone head head snake would have a lump when the red outline is. Your snake's defect is where I made the green mark.

The lump I'm seeing is where the skull and neck vertebrae join. That is not a cone head at all, but more indicative of a spinal deformity, or it could be a possible abscess.

I just really think it is in your best long term interest to have a vet check and an xray done.

This is a perfect diagram, thanks. I've made a mistake calling him a conehead then, haha. I didn't really know about kinked spines or anything else, so when I saw photos of baby coneheads, I just assumed that's what it was.

So I can probably say for sure he's kinked then, maybe (ruling out things like a growth or tumour).

***I called the vet nearest me, but they don't see reptiles and gave me two other suggestions, so I will call them after I've done my work for today.

Where are you located? In the Canadain Members Forum down in the personal forums list, there is a list of Canadian Herp Vets. I can only help out with vet suggestions if you are in Alberta but you location only says Canada so I'm not sure. But definitely check that listing for a suggested vet close to you :)

Where are you located? In the Canadain Members Forum down in the personal forums list, there is a list of Canadian Herp Vets. I can only help out with vet suggestions if you are in Alberta but you location only says Canada so I'm not sure. But definitely check that listing for a suggested vet close to you :)

This is exciting, I bought the little hypo lavender in my avatar from you two months ago! I am located very close to you, so I will check that list, thank you!

Knowing if it was there from birth, or new, would be a huge step. I hope you can get in touch with the old owners.

If it is new or recent, he 100% needs to be seen by a vet.

It has been there since birth, that leans more toward a possible kink.

Vet appointment is made with a recommended vet from the Canadian Members Forum, Gibbs will be taken there tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

As long as you're there, it sure wouldn't hurt to run a fecal on him, to look for parasites.

As long as you're there, it sure wouldn't hurt to run a fecal on him, to look for parasites.

Okay I will ask about that too. I last fed him 3 days ago and he hasn't pooped yet, can I just bring a sample in at a later time?

Okay, I really need to get off the computer now. I will definitely post an update about him tomorrow.

This is exciting, I bought the little hypo lavender in my avatar from you two months ago! I am located very close to you, so I will check that list, thank you!

Haha, that's what I thought :) How are your other 2 babies?! If you are still in Edmonton in school, Park Vet in Sherwood Park is one of the highest recommended vets in Alberta, call them, they will be able to have a look at him for you and may be able to tell with a simple exam what the cause is :)

EDIT: I should have finished reading the thread before posting LOL, I'm guessing you are taking him to Park Vet, good luck and keep us posted.

I can assure everyone he has found an AMAZING home, this young lady purchased her first 2 babies from me and she is that dream owner we all love to sell our babies to!

Okay I will ask about that too. I last fed him 3 days ago and he hasn't pooped yet, can I just bring a sample in at a later time?

Okay, I really need to get off the computer now. I will definitely post an update about him tomorrow.

Maybe running him around on the floor a while, or swimming him, would encourage pooping before your visit.

I can assure everyone he has found an AMAZING home, this young lady purchased her first 2 babies from me and she is that dream owner we all love to sell our babies to!

That made me smile :)

Good luck with Gibbs! I'm rooting that it's nothing serious and you just have a happy, healthy, deformed snake ;)

Haha, that's what I thought :) How are your other 2 babies?! If you are still in Edmonton in school, Park Vet in Sherwood Park is one of the highest recommended vets in Alberta, call them, they will be able to have a look at him for you and may be able to tell with a simple exam what the cause is :)

EDIT: I should have finished reading the thread before posting LOL, I'm guessing you are taking him to Park Vet, good luck and keep us posted.

My two babies are perfect! My butter is in shed, which I've posted a picture of below, and I took my avatar photo of my hypo lavender just yesterday.

The Park vet is the place I called, I'm taking him there tomorrow. :) Does anyone have personal experience with the place?

You've really made my day, thank you so much for your kind words!

IMG_1053_zpsb6410e62.jpg

Okay, I apologize for the off-topic picture of my other snake. We're back from the vet, and I'll get straight to the point and share the text that the vet sent me home with (the second paragraph is the most interesting):

Gibbs presented to the clinic today for evaluation of a lump on his head. On physical exam he is bright, alert and responsive. He has a very firm bump on the top of his head at the back of his skull. As we discussed, the most common cause of a mass like this in a snake is an abscess, usually caused by a rodent bite. I am sending him home with a course of antibiotics. Please use as directed. If the lump does not change in size, the next step would be a skull x-ray. If the mass still looks like an abscess, we would recommend surgically shelling it out. If it is not an abscess, other possibilities include a tumour or a congenital malformation of the bones of the skull. Otherwise, all systems and parameters evaluated are within normal limits.

Feces were collected for parasite testing. This exam revealed a number of bizarre parasites that we rarely see in captive-bred snakes, including a very large number of tape worm eggs. Tapeworms have indirect life cycles, so in order to get a tapeworm, you have to eat a secondary host that has tape worm cysts in the muscles. Our suspicion is that at some point in this snake's life, someone fed him wild-caught rodents. Companies that breed rodents to be fed to snakes do try to make an effort to make sure that their rodents are parasite-free. Wild rodents, of course, could be carrying any number of parasites. Because we rarely see tapeworms in snakes, we do not have any medications in clinic at the moment that will treat them, and we will have to order something in specially. I will call the compounding pharmacy tomorrow to discuss options. Once I know how much the medication will cost, I will call you and let you know. I would recommend a recheck fecal exam in about a month to make sure that we kill the parasites that we are seeing. For parasite testing, we need a sample that is less than 2 hours old.

Was definitely not expecting this! BB and Nanci, I'm so glad you two and everyone else posted. I will be giving Gibbs an antibiotic injection every three days, six injections total.

I will take the best care of him that I can, but I really learned my lesson: if I'm going to get a long-term pet, definitely go to a reliable breeder. Kijiji may be good for convenience, but it's really not worth the risk. If the bump disappears, then I'll post some progress pictures.

Back