CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"Conehead" Adult Corn?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
AliCat37
Not sure how a kink in that location would develop, but mine with the kink had a decrease with noticeability as she grew, but it's definitely not something that fixes itself. They have those forever.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
BloodyBaroness
I made a little diagram.

A cone head head snake would have a lump when the red outline is. Your snake's defect is where I made the green mark.

The lump I'm seeing is where the skull and neck vertebrae join. That is not a cone head at all, but more indicative of a spinal deformity, or it could be a possible abscess.

I just really think it is in your best long term interest to have a vet check and an xray done.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
Nanci
Snakes usually do outgrow the conehead deformity. If you look at snake fetuses- they are all coneheads.

Snakes do not outgrow kinks. Kinks may become hidden as the snake grows and bulks up, but they never go away.

If he's had it since birth, that's one thing, but if it is a new development, I would worry about some disease process causing it.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
Nanci
Snakes usually do outgrow the conehead deformity. If you look at snake fetuses- they are all coneheads.

Snakes do not outgrow kinks. Kinks may become hidden as the snake grows and bulks up, but they never go away.

If he's had it since birth, that's one thing, but if it is a new development, I would worry about some disease process causing it.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #25
Talesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Did the old owner say he had the lump since birth? (I can't remember if you mentioned that already)
There was no mention of it at all when I picked him up. I just sent a text to the old owners but since they moved, I don't know if they have a new number yet or not. I guess I'll find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
I made a little diagram.

A cone head head snake would have a lump when the red outline is. Your snake's defect is where I made the green mark.

The lump I'm seeing is where the skull and neck vertebrae join. That is not a cone head at all, but more indicative of a spinal deformity, or it could be a possible abscess.

I just really think it is in your best long term interest to have a vet check and an xray done.
This is a perfect diagram, thanks. I've made a mistake calling him a conehead then, haha. I didn't really know about kinked spines or anything else, so when I saw photos of baby coneheads, I just assumed that's what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post

So I can probably say for sure he's kinked then, maybe (ruling out things like a growth or tumour).

***I called the vet nearest me, but they don't see reptiles and gave me two other suggestions, so I will call them after I've done my work for today.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
5 Star Serpents
Where are you located? In the Canadain Members Forum down in the personal forums list, there is a list of Canadian Herp Vets. I can only help out with vet suggestions if you are in Alberta but you location only says Canada so I'm not sure. But definitely check that listing for a suggested vet close to you

Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
Talesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Star Serpents View Post
Where are you located? In the Canadain Members Forum down in the personal forums list, there is a list of Canadian Herp Vets. I can only help out with vet suggestions if you are in Alberta but you location only says Canada so I'm not sure. But definitely check that listing for a suggested vet close to you
This is exciting, I bought the little hypo lavender in my avatar from you two months ago! I am located very close to you, so I will check that list, thank you!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #28
BloodyBaroness
Knowing if it was there from birth, or new, would be a huge step. I hope you can get in touch with the old owners.

If it is new or recent, he 100% needs to be seen by a vet.

It has been there since birth, that leans more toward a possible kink.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #29
Talesse
Vet appointment is made with a recommended vet from the Canadian Members Forum, Gibbs will be taken there tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talesse View Post
Vet appointment is made with a recommended vet from the Canadian Members Forum, Gibbs will be taken there tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!
Excellent!

I really do hope it turns out to be nothing serious. Best of luck to you both!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google