CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Cloudy eye

Old 01-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
esreivko
Cloudy eye

Hi my name is Erik
Yesterday while stopping for coffee I found a beautiful corn snake half dead in the parking lot (6am in michigan it was 27*f). Needless to say I skipped the coffee. Fast forward thru the boring part of story, I now have a new friend. I've had lizards but never a snake before so I dont know a ton about their health. One of Juju's eyes is cloudy and I was hoping for some insight. Blind? Bad shed? I'd appreciate any feedback. Should have a vet appointment soon btw. I attached a pic, hopefully it works properly

Old 01-29-2017, 02:56 AM   #2
DollysMom
Yes, I'd consult a vet. Glad you are getting an appointment. I can only guess that maybe it's an infection. It doesn't look like stuck shed to me. A vet should be able to tell you. It may not be permanent blindness, but for now at least, Juju can't really see out of that eye.

I have a corn snake with age related cataracts. She can probably only tell light from dark in one eye. We have been to the vet. There's nothing I can do for her eyes, but she does fine.

Congrats on your new friend. All my best to you both!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:13 AM   #3
esreivko
Hi DollysMom
Yea we'll be in to see the vet as soon as possible. I'm not very good at waiting for answers though hence my post. The flash really lit up the eye and made it look clear. In normal lighting its more foggy looking. I'll try to post a better pic tonight. Just hope it isn't anything serious. Thanks for weighing in

Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Nanci
Do you think it could have been frozen? OMG that poor snake. Yes, he needs to get to a vet, and I'd be worried about some sort of respiratory infection or neurological damage from extreme cold. He's so lucky you found him.

Snakes can get cataracts, but it doesn't look like that. They can get bacterial injuries in the eye, causing it to bulge and look cloudy. When the snake is in shed, the eye is actually blue, not white/cloudy.

I have a caresheet down in my personal forum.

Even if he loses the eye, or sight in the eye, he will be fine. Thank you so much for stopping to pick him up.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
esreivko
Thanks Nanci
From your description it sounds like it's infected. I intend to get Juju to vet asap but I wasn't prepared for all this and spent what money I had on a terrarium, heat etc so I can't afford emergency vet. Hopefully regular vet wont be too bad I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.Tmrw 1st thing I'll be making an appointment at one of the two local vets that handle reptiles. I'm not so much worried abt him/her losing the eye as I am about it becoming more serious. Hopefully it's nothing too bad. He/she is doing well with one good eye currently. I'm just going to keep from doing anything to stress Juju out in the mean time. Thank you for your consideration/info

Old 01-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
esreivko
Pic of the eye no flash

Old 01-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
esreivko
Oops, take 2

Old 01-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #8
Nanci
It looks like there is a layer of fluid between the spectacle and the eyeball. I have no idea why.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
esreivko
Yea I've never seen anything like it with any pet I've had. I called 6 vets this morning that all said "I'm so sorry we no longer see reptiles but call this office they do" finally found one that will take us but the herpetologist won't be in until Wednesday. The eye doesn't look any worse and Juju doesn't rly seem to be acting funny. Just wants to burrow and likes warm hands. So hopefully we are all good until our appointment Wednesday. Thanks for the help, I'll do a post-checkup update.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #10
daddio207
Your snake's eye looked familiar but I cant recall why but in research to jog my memory I came across this info that might help your Vet make a proper diagnosis.
Hoping for the best !

http://www.anapsid.org/eyebulge.html

Also...

A response to a question about Pop-eye on a ball python forum
"The nasolacrimal duct drains tears from the spectacle into the oral cavity. It can get blocked by substrate, hair from prey or other small items the snake ingests.

Some animals can be predisposed to infections of this duct. Either way, by infection or by blockage, the tears are unable to drain from the eye into the mouth and the eye begins to bulge.

I've had it occur from a blockage via ingestion in a black-headed python. The snake's eye ended up filling up with clear fluid and bulging. Prior to that, he showed a disinterest in food and was rubbing his face on objects in his enclosure. It was also fairly obvious that he was having issues seeing out of that eye.

The Vet diagnosed it immediately and removed the blockage - fur and a bit of aspen inside of his mouth. This was followed by a spurt of clear fluid and immediately his eye was back to normal.

As a precaution against potential secondary infections, he was put on Gentamyacin antibacterial eye drops for 14 days. He has had no recurrence."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google