CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Shedding Schedule Question

Old 03-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
monstermilk
Shedding Schedule Question

Hey everyone! I'm kind of new here, and I work for a children's museum where we have a corn snake named Cornelius for the kiddos.

Anyway, I'm a little concerned with Cornelius' shedding schedule. He usually shreds every 2 months, and this past winter he didn't shred for 3 months. His last shedding was from 1/25-2/1. He started showing signs of shed including dull/opaque skin, and his eyes are starting to cloud. Considering it's the 2nd of March, it's only been a month since his last shed. I know that frequent shedding can be a sign of stress. So, I'm just wondering if there's anything to worry about since I'm not the best versed in these kind of things. Heck, for all I know he might not be shedding enough as it is. Since I'm not sure, I figured I should ask.

Here's some more info on Cornelius: He's about 5ft 4 in, and 726 g. We really don't know his age since past employees didn't really keep track, but we're guessing he's about 8-9 years old. His temperatures are good, staying at 85 on the warm side and 75 on the cool. He's been eating like champ. Children do pet him, but it's always supervised and they aren't allowed to hold him.

Regardless, thanks for any help.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
KornHole
I don't think there is really any such thing as a "Shed Schedule."

They shed for various reasons, and they shed as needed.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
Nanci
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Snakes shed less often the larger they get. Every two months seems frequent for a big adult. How often/what weight mice do you feed him?

My adults generally shed about every three months. Feeding more can have an influence on this, as can egg laying schedules.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
monstermilk
We feed him once a week on Sundays since we like to have a program for the kids on snake feedings. I'm actually not sure what the weight of the mice we use. Should we start doing that? Our provider has said in the past that they are medium sized mice; however, the past two weeks thee mice did look on the larger side.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #5
Nanci
That's a pretty aggressive feeding schedule for an adult. Most people feed adults one medium to large (not jumbo!!) mouse every two weeks. So 22-28 grams. You want the snake to be gaining about 5 grams per meal, roughly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google