CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Snow?

Old 01-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
Rich Z
Snow?

The weather forecast here in north Florida for Tuesday is for rain with temperature dipping down to 28 degrees. What is wrong with that picture?

Old 01-25-2019, 10:13 PM   #2
Twolunger
Time to move the brass monkey inside, if you've ever heard the reference to freezing cold weather. We are dipping down to the 40's here next week.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:52 AM   #3
Rich Z
Now one of the forecasts is calling for a low of 24 degrees Tuesday night. Fortunately it is far enough away for them to be way wrong. They can't even get the forecast nailed down for tonight.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
Twolunger
I hope when you bought the new tires and rims for the C5 Z06 you saved two rims so you could mount snow tires. LOL

Old 01-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Rich Z
Well, I think I still have the snow shovel I brought down with us when we moved here from Maryland. Might come in handy after all.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
Twolunger
What a scary thought. We moved to Florida for this? How will the bamboo hold up to a freeze?

Old 01-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
Zincubus
Hey. Come on fellas get things sorted !!

We're coming over to Florida early April to see our son !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 01-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
Hey. Come on fellas get things sorted !!

We're coming over to Florida early April to see our son !!

Have no fear, heat will be here by April. You may even get to do a little field herping while here.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Have no fear, heat will be here by April. You may even get to do a little field herping while here.

Excellent

Old 01-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
What a scary thought. We moved to Florida for this? How will the bamboo hold up to a freeze?
The running type bamboo handles cold really well. It's considered a temperate climate plant. Some of the clumping types I have, not so well. But surprisingly over the last few Winters, it hasn't gotten kicked back at all. I bought some really large stuff from a guy near Tampa years ago that got kicked back every Winter for years after Connie and I planted it. So I figured it was going to just be a perennial, coming back each Spring. So it is actually getting some larger sized culms lately, since it doesn't have to regrow everything every year.

I walked down to my largest bamboo grove this evening to dump some compost and noticed that the peach trees think it is Spring time as well.

Last couple of years we would have the citrus trees blooming like crazy only to get knocked back with a late freeze. But even so, Connie still has more Meyer lemons then she knows what to do with. And we aren't going to be able to finish off all the tangerines before they get past their prime. She only got three of her pomelos this year. They are the HUGE grapefruits she is growing. So this must have been an off year for them. That tree is protected pretty well between the old snake building and mouse building. And a dancy tangerine growing on the north side of it boxes it in pretty well.

They are ratcheting up the forecast low on Tuesday night, so hopefully the forecasters are fine tuning their wild guesses yet again. I suppose they have figured out that if they forecast some outrageous forecast several days in advance, they get a lot more traffic from people checking on it. They need a busy season to sell advertising outside of the hurricane season, I guess.

Damn shame to see "fake news" taking hold in the weather news too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google