CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"Braining f/t"

Old 02-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
howiet4702
"Braining f/t"

Just a quick question about "braining" f/t. The one 04 I have just goes nuts over me braining her pinks. Is this something I am going to have to do forever? Fuzzies, hoppers and then adult mice? I feed her every 5 days and she eats like clockwork.

I tried just making the slits in the back but she just pretty much ignores the prey. I mean I have no problem braining them but I just was curious if this is going to be an ongoing process.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
Jynx
braining pink and slitting the skin are for different purposes. When you brain a pink, the purpose is to induce feeding. Cranal fluids have a stronger scent and seem to snap picky snakes back to their feeding instincts. Slitting (or perforating) the skin is to help the little guys digest. On a pinkie, the skin is the hardest organ to digest since it is the largest, so slitting the skin helps the snake digest and benefit from the meal more since they don't have to waste so much extra energy on digesting the skin.

If I were you, once they start eating pretty regularly after initially braining them, I would stop. If you continue, they may not take anything unless its brained. If you plan to breed, then they may "pass on" their feeding habits.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google