CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Some bamboo pics

Old 02-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #11
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I saw a beautiful flowering succulent growing there and noticed one seedling growing in the stone walkway so plucked it out and brought it home. It grew and flowered the second year and produced thousands of seeds, all of which sprouted. I've been plucking them out, spraying them with weed killer, and they still keep coming. I've found them growing on the vacant lot next to me, so have been spraying them too. My wife said if I hadn't tried saving that seedling none of this would have happened. LOL.
That's me with those stupid ornamental sweet potatoes!!

Yeah, it's hard to learn how to garden in the south, if you grew up in the north.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #12
Twolunger
I don't know about Rich, but when I see bamboo I think of Japanese gardens with Koi ponds. They seem to shout "tranquility" silently. Naturally, for me anyway, I went off half cocked and put in a Koi pond. Nobody told me that the sun down here would overheat the water and you need a sunscreen. Duh, I should have figured that out. Then I had to buy a huge filter that sprays water in the air, supposedly to cool it. The algae grew so fast I had to clean the filter nearly weekly. Then frogs bred in the pond and were so loud at night that we couldn't get to sleep. Now I have flowers where the pond used to be and my tranquility comes from watching my quiet Corns. LOL.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Very interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I don't know about Rich, but when I see bamboo I think of Japanese gardens with Koi ponds. They seem to shout "tranquility" silently. Naturally, for me anyway, I went off half cocked and put in a Koi pond. Nobody told me that the sun down here would overheat the water and you need a sunscreen. Duh, I should have figured that out. Then I had to buy a huge filter that sprays water in the air, supposedly to cool it. The algae grew so fast I had to clean the filter nearly weekly. Then frogs bred in the pond and were so loud at night that we couldn't get to sleep. Now I have flowers where the pond used to be and my tranquility comes from watching my quiet Corns. LOL.

LOL yeah I've heard so many horror stories about ponds, I've decided the only way I will do one is inside a screened patio.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #14
Rich Z
Many years ago, Connie wanted to have a swimming pool put in, so I made a deal with her that for every sale of her leopard geckos, she could take the money and put it towards the pool. She called it her "folding" money. Well, she did pretty good with the leopard geckos, and quickly had enough money for the pool. So we had a small in-ground pool put in with a concrete patio around it. Here in Florida there is some kind of law whereby all swimming pools must have some sort of fence or screened enclosure around it. But for the first year we did without.

That was back in the days when we were working our butts off with that SerpenCo business, and we found that the ONLY way we could find time to use the swimming pool was late at night when we were finished with the animal chores. So around midnight or so when we closed down the animal buildings and headed over to the house, we would go out to the pool for a little dip, and found the pool ringed with tree frogs. And they were all just singing up a storm. In short order I was able to mimic their calls, so I had them all worked up into a ruckus trying to outdo my calls. One of them got into the overflow pipe and found out that it greatly amplified his call, so he was a tough one to beat. Most of them were greens but every now and again some larger greys would show up.

Eventually we did put a screen enclosure around the pool, and honestly I do miss the tree frogs. Without the water source, you would never know there were that many tree frogs around here. Well, except every Thursday evening when we get the trash ready to take out to the road, there will often be three tree frogs in the WastePro trash can that we have to get out of there first. Can't see throwing away perfectly good tree frogs!

We've toyed with the idea of putting in a pond, but my concern would be that we might be creating a mosquito breeding pool. So yeah, you do have to be concerned with unintended consequences whenever you change something in nature. And hindsight can be a harsh instructor.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #15
Twolunger
The small Koi ate mosquito larvae and also all the tadpoles. When I got rid of the Koi I put in waterlillies and fancy guppies, so no mosquitos. But a hundred frogs and some toads showed up. The final straw for my wife was when I saw a snake go under the large rocks around the pond. I moved the rocks and there was a beautiful Cottonmouth all coiled up. Visions of trips to the emergency room with the grand kids spelled doom for the pond. I didn't know Connie raised Leopard Geckos. I had a collection years back and raised them for my son's pet shop. I finally turned the whole collection over to him.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #16
Rich Z
Took a pic of the white bamboo we are growing....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google