CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY Snake Enrichment!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
jovamabob
DIY Snake Enrichment!

So Sebby loves climbing on the thermostat probe wire and while that exploring is good for him, it moves the probe which sets off the thermostat temperature alarm. You may have noticed that your snake also loves to climb things in the enclosure and likes to investigate new things. I wanted to get some of those fake vines for him to climb around on, but they’re expensive and money is short. So i got a ball of string for £1 and a pack of five suction cups for another £1 then set about making my own!
Ok so they’re not gonna look like vines, but they’ll do the same job. First i threaded all the suction cups onto my ball of string then tied off the end one.

Then go to your snakes enclosure, and take off the lid or open the doors. Deal with surprise snake escape attempt number 29580.

Then just put stretch out the string to where you want it to go and hold it in place with each suction cup. Tie off the end one and bam! Your Done! This is super easy to do, takes less than 5 minutes and you can remove it to change it around or for easy cleaning.For bigger snakes you could use thin rope and larger suction cups or even eyelets in wooden vivs. Just add a snake and observe

Old 11-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
spyderk
Neat! I have one for sure that would love that!!

Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
jovamabob
I suspect those screw in eyelets or command hooks and a bit of rope could do bigger snakes 'cause sebbys only 95g at the moment. He seems to love them though and the suction cups are holding firm at the moment!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
epicdoom
that's using the old noggin I have 2 snakes that love the thermostat probe wire they would pull it out all the time I taped them into the corner so now they can climb them but there always around that area trying. I ordered some of the suction cup type vines for them to climb on. I have no idea why but not one of my 16 corn snakes will climb a stick I ended up removing them from all my set ups

Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
hikisquid
Oh man I will have to keep this in mind for when my husband and I build Stig a biiiiig tank!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Weda737
I do the same thing with those suction cups and fake vines! lol awesome.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
jovamabob
Wanted to do this for the hatchlings, but didn't want to buy masses of suction cups or use tape. Started threading the string through and realised i have loads of toilet roll tubes! Threaded them on to the string so that they move around a little and they love them

Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Buzzard
Love the tube idea.... What a lot of people do not see is how much ground you created. When you think about it, before the tube that area was dead space. Now that the tube is there you created that much more active space for the snake. Great Job!!!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Justine66
wow, I absolutely love this idea!
I think Sirius would love that.. I hope you don't mind my borrowing of your T.P Hammick,

I too love how much more excerse space it allows them!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Geminiluna
Very cool! Gives me great ideas for when Sixx can tolerate a change-up in his tub! :-) :-) can't wait to try some of this!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google