CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Afraid My Snake Will Fall And Get Hurt

Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
BlackMamba
Afraid My Snake Will Fall And Get Hurt

I just my corn snake and it's been exploring the tank. It pooped in it's water bowl and now it climbed up the thermometer wire and I'm afraid it might fall and get hurt. Is it okay? I don't have aspen or anything, just a few paper towels on the bottom so it's not really cushioned.

Also, when I opened the box it was really scared so I tried to be gentle with the container and I just put it in the tank and opened the lid and put the top on the tank. Is it okay to leave the container he was shipped in, in the tank?

I would really appreciate some help!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
BlackMamba
Also, now that he pooped in his water I want to change it out but everyone said to try to not disturb him. Should I change it even though he's only been in his tank for like 30 minutes!?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Chip
I prefer not to have wires in the tank, but unless it's really a long fall he should be fine. No harm in leaving the shipping deli in there, and yes, change your water.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
BlackMamba
Well, it's a 10 gallon so I think like 12" tall ... I think he already fell once. He climbed the wire and started poking around the lid trying to get out I guess. Then I heard a noise and saw him on the paper towels. He's moving around and looks fine, but it just scares me because a 1 foot fall seems really bad to me.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Alicia P
He will be ok falling from that height and will do it many more times attempting a jailbreak. Like Chip said it's fine to change the water and the deli poses no problem either.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
BlackMamba
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I feel a lot better. I'm just really excited and I like him a lot and want to make sure I do everything right. I almost had a heart attack when I saw him 12 inches off the ground.

He actually seems pretty active and cool. He got a little defensive but I haven't touched him at all. I just put the container with him in it in his tank, took the lid off and secured the tank. He was really jumpy in the container and when I walk by the tank though lol. Should I leave the container in there now that he's not in it or take it out?

Now he's laying on the glass under the paper towels on the warm side.

My warm side is staying steady at 83-85 degrees. I'm almost temped to turn it down a degree but it seems okay. Hopefully that thermometer is accurate ...

Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Chip
I wouldn't turn it down...

Old 08-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Alicia P
Nope it's at a good temp, I wouldn't turn it down either. Next time you do a water change you can snag the deli out, but it's fine to leave it in there. It's just like an extra hide and babies love lots of places to hide!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Nanci
Chip, without wires, how else is the baby going to be able to reach the little ledge that they all love?

Babies also like those suction cup vines- and love to climb and hide in them. Is there a reason you don't have him on aspen? That cushions the fall a little. But I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
NH93
Don't worry too much, about any of that
You seem nervous and excited! That's good though! Just try not to do what I did, and take your little friend out too quickly...
Like the books say, other than changing the water, leave 'em be for about a week! Sounds like s/he is getting comfortable already.
Congrats!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google