CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

What To Do About AJ

Old 06-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #21
DLena
I have purchased quite a few corns from Don, and I've never had a single problem with any of them, health or temperament, and they are always as advertised and/or pictured. Paying vet bills and offering to take the snake back on his dime, when it is, most definitely, husbandry issues at the OP's end that has caused these problems, further shows his professionalism and love for these animals.
If Don, a near-legend in this hobby, is giving you husbandry and health advice, and the OP is not following it, then the consequences are on her, and, unfortunately, on her snakes.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #22
SerpentLady4
I gave you his phone number to call him for the info culture can't be done till the two medications are finished so call him and he'll call you back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 06-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #23
Shiari
If the bacteria are resistant to fortaz, there is NOTHING stopping you from doing a culture to discover them and what they *are* sensitive to. It is less than ideal, but not impossible. We've done cultures on animals already started on clavamox that were then switched to a different antibiotic because it turned out the pathogen was resistant.

Also, while no offense is meant to your vet, there is a local vet here that styles himself a reptile vet who told me over the phone that cryptosporidium serpentis is a- not dangerous to snakes, b- treatable, and c- zoonotic. All of that is 100% incorrect. So maybe get a second opinion with another vet about the culture.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #24
SODERBERGD
My Email From May 22nd, 2017

The first email I sent to you details all of the expenses I offered to compensate you for, including travel expenses to your vet and to FedEx. When you told me that if the Fortaz regimen did not cure the snake via July 27th, you'd send it back. This May 22nd email said that if you didn't send the snake back on that week, all offers of compensation were OFF the table, except a refund of the initial purchase and shipping expenses. I know you got this email because you responded to it. Of course, I keep all email correspondence, so I have every post of that email thread with you. Your email address and the BCC to my wife were removed, so nobody can say they got confidential data from me. Our bank records show that you cashed the check we sent for the initial vet services. BTW, our vet has NEVER used Fortaz on any of our snakes, so if that snake is resistant to that drug, it's not from anything we have done here. The snake I sent to you (and its parents) have never been treated for any condition. I would never send a snake that exhibited ANY signs of a problem, so the sniffling you described was--in my non-veterinarian opinion--a result of shipping temperatures? That said, I would never dispute the diagnosis of a certified veterinarian.

Mon, May 22, 2017 8:50 am

Re:
From cornsnakes cornsnakes@aol.com
To jennifer
Bcc flower
Jennifer:

The only way I'll buy this snake back is if you ship it back to me this week. If you don't want to do that, understand that I'm not spending any more $ on this snake (not for Vet bills or maintenance or shipping). If you keep it, the only liability I will back is to refund the $100.00 price you paid if it dies in the next six months. If you have PayPal, I will send the full amount of what I owe you plus $10 to reimburse you for your time driving to your vet and to a FedEx station to ship it. And, of course, I'll email a FedEx airbill so you are not paying any shipping expenses. This offer is good if I receive the snake from you this week. If you have not received the check we mailed last week before shipping the snake back to me, I'll stop payment on the check and add the vet bill to the Paypal payment to you.
Don
South Mountain Reptiles
www.cornsnake.NET

Old 06-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #25
SerpentLady4
Ness Exotic Wellness Center is the only facility near where I live who has vets with experience with reptiles I was also given a nasal antibiotic. There is nothing I can do till the treatment is finished. My vet also thinks that there might have been trams done to his nose that could have made him make those noises. As for husbandry all my viv's are 82.5 warm side and mid 70's cool side. All my snakes use cool sides. I heard that Baytril burns so Fortaz is the better choice. My vet will do a culture and maybe an X-ray when medicine is finished

Old 06-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #26
SODERBERGD
Snake-cooking temperatures . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentLady4 View Post
Ness Exotic Wellness Center is the only facility near where I live who has vets with experience with reptiles I was also given a nasal antibiotic. There is nothing I can do till the treatment is finished. My vet also thinks that there might have been trams done to his nose that could have made him make those noises. As for husbandry all my viv's are 82.5 warm side and mid 70's cool side. All my snakes use cool sides. I heard that Baytril burns so Fortaz is the better choice. My vet will do a culture and maybe an X-ray when medicine is finished

Pleased to read that you have reduced temps. Regarding this snake, here's what you said on this web site on May 12th.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:57 PM #1
SerpentLady4
Fortaz injections and RI
My youngest Snake AJ has been showing minor signs of RI my vet gave me Fortaz to give him for 27 days. Has anyone used this and when will I notice an improvement today was injection 2. He is in a ten gallon and I have his temperature right now at 91.2. He is in a room with other snakes (separate terrariums and no signs with them getting it so far I can see)

Old 06-14-2017, 02:06 AM   #27
Dragonling
Ceftazidime (Fortaz, Tazicef) is not used very extensively by reptile vets just yet with how useful enrofloxacin (Baytril) has proven to be against most bacterial infections. Did the vet attempt a round of Baytril first? I'm not sure why they would make the immediate leap to Fortaz, though I have heard some good success stories about it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google