CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Wrinkly skin

Old 06-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Wrinkly skin

My Ruby is definitely super small for her age (3 years in August) and was not being fed the correct size mice, but she is also (I believe) undergoing shedding process. She's been hiding in her humid hide for 72 hours and I've basically been doing a "lift the lid to make sure she's alive" check once a day. I literally do not think she has left the hide for three days. I just peeled back the moss to give her a bit of a better look, and noticed her skin is wrinkly. I've had her for such a short period of time, I don't know if this is due to (a) underfeeding and is always there when she is coiled, (b) a pre-shed symptom, or (c) dehydration. I found a thread about this on a python forum, and a few people there recommended misting a python which they thought was dehydrated (not sure if snakes even absorb moisture this way).

Thoughts please? She has not eaten for almost 2 weeks, and I don't believe she's drank anything since she came home six days ago. Humidity in tank is between 65-70% right now to assist her shed.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
LadyJemima
Here's a photo of the "worst" wrinkle, although she has a few more along her back. Just curious.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
she is fine. As long as you provide her fresh water, she should not be dehydrated. Snakes don't drink every day and you may not see them drink for a long time. As far as hiding for 72 hours straight - perfectly ok. My snake would hide for a week or 2 if I let him.

I don't know what you mean by wrinkly skin. I do not see anything but a normal snake in the photo.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
LadyJemima
First-time snake owner, so I'm not sure what's normal or not. A breeder who I met (to buy mice from) told me her skin was loose and she was underweight. I'm hoping to get her up to normal when she is done shedding with hoppers.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
Shiari
That isn't loose skin. It's a fold and it's normal when they are bent like that. This snake is not underweight. I don't know why that person said she was but they are wrong.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:16 AM   #6
kdickens
Very pretty snake! Like the others, I think she's fine. The breeder probably just wanted you to buy more mice ... and have a fat snake. As far as water ... I don't think I've ever seen my snake drink yet.
Well, maybe once. He's a night time drinker I guess! But always have water available so she can take a sip when she wants. And no, I don't think misting your snake will hydrate it to any significant level (like the strawberries in your instant oatmeal! )

Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
DollysMom
My understanding is that they do have permeable skin and do take in some water while in the humid hide. I have seen each of my snakes drink at least once but it can go months to years between viewings. In the meantime I keep the water bowls clean and filled.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
Karl_Mcknight
My snake drinks most often when I return him to his cage and I hold him over his water bowl. He also likes to take a couple of big gulps after swallowing a mouse. (Kind of like me having a *few* gulps of red wine with Pizza.)

Old 06-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
DollysMom
Rufus is special that's for sure!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google