CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > FAQ Development Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

FAQ Development Forum This area is reserved for the development and discussion of various FAQ documents for posting on this site. PLEASE! Only the moderator should post original threads here.

Husbandry and Basic Care FAQ

Old 05-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #11
mbdorfer
Great job Joe! I remember some chatter about this a while back, I'm impressed with the follow thru so far. A thought about cage decorations, what is/isn't safe etc...might be included here
Not sure how detailed you wanna get in these. Let me know if I can be of help to ya

Old 05-18-2005, 12:06 AM   #12
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdorfer
Great job Joe! I remember some chatter about this a while back, I'm impressed with the follow thru so far. A thought about cage decorations, what is/isn't safe etc...might be included here
Not sure how detailed you wanna get in these. Let me know if I can be of help to ya
Added some stuff about cage decorations. That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. If you can think of anything, let me know.

If you'd like to lend a hand, once I finish the rough drafts I'll send you on a link hunting search to link some older threads to the questions. I figure the best way to let newbies 'learn' this stuff is for them to not only read my opinion, but read other threads with the same discussion.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
Rich Z
Looks pretty good, Joe. Three comments:
  • About caging: Obtaining a cage that is 110% escape proof is essential! All corn snakes are descendants from Houdini. And having a cage that is absolutely escape proof does you no good if YOU don't do your job and make sure you keep it secured at all times. The most common calls I get are of the nature "My snake has escaped! Where do you think it went off to?"
  • Furniture within cages: Simple is best. The more difficult and time consuming it is for you to clean the cage, the less often you will do it. The snakes really don't care much about the pretty accessories. Matter of fact, you had better consider your snake as being suicidal, and anything you put in the cage will be used to end it's own life, if at all possible. Less is better.
  • Substrate: Be careful with any substrate that the snake can ingest while swallowing food. Baby snakes can definitely die from intestinal impactions. Wood chips are notorious for this. If you have to use that kind of substrate in it's cage, feed the snake elsewhere.

Old 05-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
E. g. guttata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Q: Can I feed my cornsnake crickets?
A: No, you are a %^%&&#&* idiot!!!
So THAT'S my problem! Should I feed grasshoppers instead??

Nice job Joe. It took you a while to get it going, but it's looking good.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:30 PM   #15
mbdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Added some stuff about cage decorations. That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. If you can think of anything, let me know.

If you'd like to lend a hand, once I finish the rough drafts I'll send you on a link hunting search to link some older threads to the questions. I figure the best way to let newbies 'learn' this stuff is for them to not only read my opinion, but read other threads with the same discussion.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind concerning hides and decor.
Glad to help out if you need me.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #16
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Looks pretty good, Joe. Three comments:
  • About caging: Obtaining a cage that is 110% escape proof is essential! All corn snakes are descendants from Houdini. And having a cage that is absolutely escape proof does you no good if YOU don't do your job and make sure you keep it secured at all times. The most common calls I get are of the nature "My snake has escaped! Where do you think it went off to?"
  • Furniture within cages: Simple is best. The more difficult and time consuming it is for you to clean the cage, the less often you will do it. The snakes really don't care much about the pretty accessories. Matter of fact, you had better consider your snake as being suicidal, and anything you put in the cage will be used to end it's own life, if at all possible. Less is better.
  • Substrate: Be careful with any substrate that the snake can ingest while swallowing food. Baby snakes can definitely die from intestinal impactions. Wood chips are notorious for this. If you have to use that kind of substrate in it's cage, feed the snake elsewhere.

Rich, I added these in my own words because I didn't know how you felt about me quoting you. If you're okay with that, I'll just delete what I added and add your comments in.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:01 PM   #17
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdorfer
Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind concerning hides and decor.
Glad to help out if you need me.
Soon enough, Mike, soon enough.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:24 AM   #18
TripleMoonsExotic
You should have somewhere in these FAQs a section on houseing multiple corns. Specifically a "Pros and Cons."

Old 06-17-2005, 01:58 AM   #19
terrysangel79
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckkat
You should have somewhere in these FAQs a section on houseing multiple corns. Specifically a "Pros and Cons."
I deffinetly think that's a good idea...considering I'm a newbie to corns!!!

Old 06-27-2005, 01:13 PM   #20
Mary-Beth
Here is something I didn't know about. Thought you might want to add something about it to this FAQ page?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google