• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Debating on which make male to get.

Pardiclancer

So I have two females. A unknown butter. I rescued her. A sunkissed 66% het Carmel het motley. I've been debating on either a golddust or an amber. Which one do you think. Also if you have any other suggestions I am more than happy to listen. Thanks everyone. ;)

I've got butter motleys which would go well with them. Unless there are other hets you would get butters het motley and normals het sunkissed, caramel, motley, amel. You could prove out the caramel and motley on the second one and possibly produce butter motley het sunkissed.

I also have an unlisted golddust motley.

I don't want to do gold dusts cause they're hybrids. Considering a butter motley or a Honey. My only fear is I just received word that my sunkissed father was confirmed het for star gazer. I also like the look of the Topaz and Amber corns. Just curious I like your suggestion but what other morphs could I eventually breed? Thank you for your thoughts.

I myself would not breed the Sunkissed unless you are testing her for stargazer. There are homos or hets you can purchase or borrow. I think rather than destroy a clutch, I would just not breed that particular snake.

It is not proven that gold dusts are hybrids or that the ultra gene came from a hybrid breeding. Just fyi.

I would also go with Nanci's advice.

When you say "rescue", what exactly do you mean? Was she emaciated and not well taken care of? How long has she been in your care? Is she healthy enough for breeding?

I myself would not breed the Sunkissed unless you are testing her for stargazer. There are homos or hets you can purchase or borrow. I think rather than destroy a clutch, I would just not breed that particular snake.

I like the idea of testing for stargazer. Makes more sense to buy a stargazer free line though as far as time and effort goes unless one is up for that kind of adventure and work entailed to breed it out of your line.

My butter Luna was abandoned at Petsmart where I work. She is very healthy but I would wait till next year to breed her. She's three and half feet long eats every five day a lrg Mouse thinking of switching her to rats. So as for rescuing her I have no idea if any what she is het for. You can breed stargazer out. Only way to test for it though would to breed her to a het stargazer and see if any come out. If so she is no longer viable which would be sad cause she has the quirkiest personality. Mazey is my sunkissed

My butter Luna was abandoned at Petsmart where I work. She is very healthy but I would wait till next year to breed her. She's three and half feet long eats every five day a lrg Mouse thinking of switching her to rats. So as for rescuing her I have no idea if any what she is het for. You can breed stargazer out. Only way to test for it though would to breed her to a het stargazer and see if any come out. If so she is no longer viable which would be sad cause she has the quirkiest personality. Mazey is my sunkissed

Where did you hear that you can breed the Stargazer trait out??

I'll try to find the link. When I found this out I was a little sad at the fact so I was typed it in and was surfing over various pages. Looking for a way. I know one said it was a hereditary trait therefore like the color morphs. You should be able to prove or disprove it by breeding it to another stargazer. I may be wrong so feel free to correct me. But if you breed to a known het stargazer and don't get any. Your snake shouldn't be stargazer. However all the little one you just produced would possibly be. So in hind sight that seems cruel to do that just to cull them because of the possibility of them being stargazer

I'll try to find the link. When I found this out I was a little sad at the fact so I was typed it in and was surfing over various pages. Looking for a way. I know one said it was a hereditary trait therefore like the color morphs. You should be able to prove or disprove it by breeding it to another stargazer. I may be wrong so feel free to correct me. But if you breed to a known het stargazer and don't get any. Your snake shouldn't be stargazer. However all the little one you just produced would possibly be. So in hind sight that seems cruel to do that just to cull them because of the possibility of them being stargazer

You can test yours to see if she is carrying the SG gene, but IMO, the best way to do that is use a homo SG. I don't think using a het SG is effective. There have been het to het parings, that do not produce the intended gene for a number of clutches, so one breeding to a het does not prove it out. I had an Anery Motley out of a Snow paired with an Anery. For six years this pair had not produced any Motley's. On the seventh year, they produced a couple Motleys. Both parents carried the Motley gene, but did not produce the gene for severaly years.

Ah I see. I am sitting here thinking about this and I think Mazey will just have to be a pet. I don't want to have to destroy an entire clutch just to see if she is het for stargazer. It would be nice to use her other genetics but I couldn't knowingly pass that gene to another. So onto my Butter. Thank you all for our help.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1144993

Star Gazing is a totally separate gene that was first observed in Sunkissed animals. At this point in time it is most likely spread throughout the gene pool.

Terri

If its a gene, dominant or recessive, it can be bred out. From what I've heard and understand, it is a recessive gene which is why you must test cross to see if your line carries the gene. If it proves to have it those that are double recessive... i.e. homozygous for stargazer will show the trait. Those that are heterozygous for stargazer will not show the trait nor will those that do not carry the trait. Thus, by outcrossing to another line you can indeed breed the stargazer out of your line, albeit, you will then have to spend time to test cross those progeny to ensure it is not being carried.
If I'm not correct in this assumption, I'm all ears and eager to learn as always.

Ok so it looks like I would have to breed her just to see if she carries it. Wonder if the original breeder would let me back breed to dad. She local and was very helpful.

Back