CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

icubaters qustion

Old 11-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
corns are cool
icubaters qustion

is this ok to hach corn snake eggs

Old 11-18-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Taceas
What is that, a popcorn popper?

So long as it can hold a tempreture of 79-83 consistently and safely, then it should work, however...I would just make doubly sure there are no places for the hatchling to get burned or caught in something.

Most people get incubators that are large enough that can hold a deli-cup for the eggs and incubating medium. That doesn't even look large enough for a half-dozen chicken eggs, let alone a deli-cup.

Why, you may ask? Because even I have accidently left a lid on a delicup of hatchlings not on right, and then had a bathroom full of hatchlings as they slithered out the ventilation holes of my Hovabator.

Also, the deli-cups regulate the humidity and micro-climate and prevent the dessication (drying out) of the eggs, as can happen anytime you have a heat source present. Bird eggs don't have that problem with their hard shell, which is why most bird egg incubators come with fans to circulate the warm air. That can certainly spell death for any reptile egg by an ill-prepared snake owner.

I think Hovabators are quite good for being a "cheap avian incubator". They're not necessarily meant to function at low temps, but if in the right room temp, they do very well and are accurate. They're also large enough for 4-5 6" wide deli-cups of clutches of eggs to be in there.

There are PLENTY of incubation tips in Kathy Love's book. You just need to get it and read it. I personally wouldn't entrust a chicken egg to that, let alone an entire clutch of snake eggs.

Picture of my setup last year:

Best place I found for my incubator was on the spare bathroom counter. It gets no direct sunlight, and stays consistently cool compared to the rest of the upstairs. So besides looking tacky, it worked great and held a constant incubation temp for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google