CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

is this normal...???

Old 12-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
jasons corn
is this normal...???

i just went to grab my snake...for feeding time....and he just struck at me a bunch of times.....i just washed my hands ...and every time i go to grab him he runs....hes never done this before......i had got im out....but now when i go to pick him up to put him back.....will he bite off my finger ????
undefinedvery confused

Old 12-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
jasons corn
and i have the aspen stuff...and when i fed him i think he a peice of it....is that a problem???

Old 12-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
Blaqwraith
Something you really need to do is feed him in a seperate enclosure, with absolutely no subtrate, because if ingested, it can cause complications, and even cause death.

Has he ever shown any aggressive behavior before? How old is he?
Also, do not grab him, the best thing to do is run your hand underneath him to support him.

Old 12-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #4
pcar
Please tell me that you don't feed on aspen substrate...

ingestion of that will cause impaction. stricking at you sounds normal...how long has it been since his last meal? Is he ready to shed? Are you moving fast? I know that you said you washed your hands, but the scent of the mouse could still be there.

Old 12-07-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
jasons corn
all set now... i feed him on paper towels....but he had aspen on him when he went in the box....then he ate....gtg ttyl bye
Jason

Old 12-08-2004, 10:10 AM   #6
pcar
If I were you, I would try and remove any substrate that is sticking to your snake before you feed him just to be sure that he doesn't ingest it.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #7
tai_pan1
Just curious, I always read the same thing "don't feed on a substrate". How many folks out there have ever had a problem with a corn due to substrate ingestion? I must have read hundreds of threads advising the same thing, but I don't ever recall reading about someones corns having suufered from ingesting substrate. I am sure that the large breeders who have hundreds (if not thousands) of snakes do not feed in seperate enclosures. Also, Kathy Love's book is always being quoted as the bible (And I agree it is), but I can find nowhere in the book where she mentions feeding in a seperate container to avoid substrate ingestion. She does mention feeding in another container to avoid having the snake associate a hand coming in the tank with feeding. So what I'm getting at is...is this "substrate ingestion" thing an old wifes tale (or old herpers tale)?

I know that some will start flaming me right away, but I do think this is something that should be investigated and talked about. I check the validity of email I get on websites like truthorfiction.com, just figured I'd investigate the validity of this as well.

Mike

Old 12-08-2004, 03:12 PM   #8
Cindy
It makes sense logically not to feed on substrate but I guess in the wild they wouldn't have any choice, but we don't know how many die of impaction in the wild... hmmm I dont know the answer but won't take the risk! interesting question...

Old 12-08-2004, 03:25 PM   #9
cornman1979
I agree with Cindy, the question should have been "is it worth the risk".

I would say no every time, i would rather feed my snake's outside their viv with paper towel's or newspaper down.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:26 PM   #10
Spirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy
but I guess in the wild...
This comment is a huge pet peeve of mine. They're NOT in the wild, dammit. They're in a controlled enviroment... with controlled temps, and controlled feeding.

I mean I suppose we can not provide heat and just throw some dirt in there for substrate, and never clean the poop (cause they don't clean up after themselves in the wild)... but you get my point.

We do not use cedar because it's toxic to snakes. We (most of us) feed F/T instead of live because it's safer for the snakes well being. They don't have that choice in the wild. We do it to keep them safe, so why would we take the chance an accidental injestion of a substrate that might do them harm?

Always feed on paper towel, or simply just in a plastic box (something you can wash to prevent bacteria growth).

Now repeat after me. CAP-TI-VI-TEEEE. lol

That is all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google