CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Where did everybody go?!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
martin-bernstein
Where did everybody go?!

Used to hang out here 7 or 8 years ago. Haven’t been on this forum in a good long while. Still have reptiles though. Seems like there were a lot more classifieds back in 2010/11/12. Like a lot more! Anybody noticed a drop off in interest for corns in recent years?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Rich Z

Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Twolunger
Many of us are still raising corns, but speaking for myself, I don't ship. My sales are usually wholesale clutches to pet shops or local ads. I just make enough money to pay my rodent bills. It seems that there are few corn breeders with large collections still on the forum. I know of 5 or 6, but there may be more.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
MysticExotics
A few of us are still here.
Unfortunately, FB happened. I don't like it for this kind of thing. It's too easy to lose posts, and it's no where near as good of a resource for finding information.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:28 AM   #5
SnakeCreations
I took a few years break as well. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion anywhere, kind of a bummer!

-Tonya

Old 10-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCreations View Post
I took a few years break as well. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion anywhere, kind of a bummer!

-Tonya
There are many discussions that can be initiated. I just don't know if the discussions I'd like to see are of interest to the general forum members. I don't know what the actual ratio of forum members is, but I'll throw out a number based upon what I read in the posts. 85% of the members keep one or two corns, usually in a vivarium or tank. 10% keep and breed a small colony of between 5-20 corns. 5% are breeders who keep, breed, and sell corns in colonies of 20 to 100 corns or more. You can guess that most of the 85% don't want to read about rack systems, incubators, egg production, health maintenance, etc. The 5% don't usually reply to vivarium issues, emergency health problems, morph identification, or feeding issues.

If you want to discuss a topic, start a thread and tell us what's on your mind.
We will jump in if we have experience in that topic.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Rich Z
There was actually a discussion here about this problem last year or so -> http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144733

I have already accepted the likelihood that sooner rather than later this site will likely go away because of lack of participation by a former membership base.

I really don't have anything to post about cornsnakes much any longer since I retired from the business. I do post some things of general interest (obviously not of interest to most folks, however), but that is the best I can do concerning my own participation.

So the fate of this site will be based on what you all show me that it means to you to keep it around. But to be perfectly honest, I truly believe that the previously active registered members of the 28,490 TOTAL membership here have already voted.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
There was actually a discussion here about this problem last year or so -> http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144733

I have already accepted the likelihood that sooner rather than later this site will likely go away because of lack of participation by a former membership base.
It is extremely difficult to give up a site that has helped many over the years. The members still provide good info on a daily basis, or as needed, but the posts have slowed down drastically. Only you will know when the time has drawn near to shutting the site down. It's like when your youngest child has gone on to college, but your wife still has a Sponge Bob blanket on their bed. Time to face the reality that it's time to move on, unless the child returns and asked why the blanket was removed. The members have to participate in the forum or it's time to move on.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
MysticExotics
I've spent the morning going through some older threads, from when I first joined, back in 2010.
There is so much good information here, I really love having that available!

Old 10-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I've spent the morning going through some older threads, from when I first joined, back in 2010.
There is so much good information here, I really love having that available!
I too go back into the archives to read some of the older posts, or to find information about a topic. One thing that struck me was that in the older posts there were obvious friendships that had formed between members. I read posts that mention adult breeders being lent between members, or a member donating a specific morph to another member to assist in a project. I don't see a lot of that today, except for a couple posts from long time members.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google