CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn or Ball Python

Old 11-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Averysmom
Corn or Ball Python

My brother loves my corn and really wants his own snake. I have a friend that is helping us find him one and she asked if he would be interested in a ball python. This is his first snake, so I want to see what would be a better choice for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
Dennis Gulla
I’ve had both. It breaks down to cost. Since Ball Pythons are considerably larger than corns, everything will be more expensive. A ball will require a larger enclosure. It’s also going to cost more to feed. Most adult corns can me maintained on adult mice. Some adult Ball pythons will require feeding of large rats. Both species are relatively easy to care for and make good pets, but I prefer corns. You need to ask yourself, does one mind having large rats in the freezer? Or having to buy a large rat from a pet store and pre killing it?

Old 11-23-2019, 01:44 AM   #3
MysticExotics
Cornsnakes tend to be more active. Ball Pythons are sometimes referred to as "pet rocks". There are exceptions, but for the most part, they're not as active.

You can get a variety of morphs in either, but the fancier morphs in BP's tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

I prefer Corns, myself.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
Zincubus
Handling-wise It’s like comparing a hamster with a guinea-pig .. A Corn snake will never stop moving whilst a Royal will happily curl up on your lap .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 11-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Gulla View Post
I’ve had both. It breaks down to cost. Since Ball Pythons are considerably larger than corns, everything will be more expensive. A ball will require a larger enclosure. It’s also going to cost more to feed. Most adult corns can me maintained on adult mice. Some adult Ball pythons will require feeding of large rats. Both species are relatively easy to care for and make good pets, but I prefer corns. You need to ask yourself, does one mind having large rats in the freezer? Or having to buy a large rat from a pet store and pre killing it?

^ THIS ^

Old 11-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
Zincubus
My wife prefers Royals as they have a ‘cute’ headshape ..as opposed to Corn snakes .

Royals are much thicker abs have loads of colour shades and patterns whilst Corns are slender with more colour options right through from white .. yellow .. Orange and Red ..
My Royals

My Corn snakes

Old 11-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
Averysmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
My wife prefers Royals as they have a ‘cute’ headshape ..as opposed to Corn snakes .

Royals are much thicker abs have loads of colour shades and patterns whilst Corns are slender with more colour options right through from white .. yellow .. Orange and Red ..
My Royals

My Corn snakes

You have gorgeous snakes! I love the white and brown one.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Averysmom
Okay thanks for the information everyone. I’ll talk to him about the difference in cost of maintaining. Also, are corn snake set ups different than ball pythons?

Old 11-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
Averysmom
He likes the idea of watching tv with his snake sitting with him so a ball python might be the better option if they don’t move around as much.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #10
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averysmom View Post
He likes the idea of watching tv with his snake sitting with him so a ball python might be the better option if they don’t move around as much.

I watch movies with mine curled up on my lap !!!

Put them on your lap and they have a little sniff around here and there then after a minute or so if you keep moving them back on you they soon curl up and chill ..

The important thing with Royals / Ball Pythons is to ensure that you buy a GOOD eater / feeder .. so buy off a trustworthy breeder / store you know or trust or is recommended to you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google