• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How Do I Reduce Humidity

Dean

How do I reduce the humidty in my vivarium, i noticed that as I left for work this morning that the humidty had increased to 65%.

This is a bit on the high side and I would ideally like it around 50%. It had been hovering around the 60% area yesterday.

I do not know what it had been before hand as I have just got a new vivarium, temp indicators and humidity indicator.

Would putting more vent holes in the vivarium help reduce humidity.

Regards.

Dean.

it probably would help to put more vent holes in your tank!

bud how is the humidity in your home/room where your snake lives, if it is also high won't know if it helps?! good luck!

There are two more things that you can do to decrease the humidity level in the tank.
1) you can put a fan near the tank to decrease the heat around the tank thus making water to stay in liquid forum, this would decrease the humidity level in the tank.

2) you can put a spot light lamp as a heat source for the tank. The heat lamp will decrease the level of humidity in the tank and at the same time provide heat. But I wouldn't use both heat lamp and heat mat as this might cause too high of a temperature in the tank.

Good Luck and happy herping!

Has anyone suggested to you purchasing 'The Cornsnake Manual' by Bill and Kathy Love. Its a brilliant book containing everything you will every need to know.

Thanks for the tips, Yes I have bought the bok and am reading it at the moment.

After reading through some of the manual it is clear I do not have enough vents on my viv.

Looks like I will be making holes tomorrow.

Regards.

Dean.

Last edited:
dean,
i wouldn't worry about the humidity at 65%. it will fluctuate with your weather and at times will get almost to 100% when it is raining out. i only worry when it gets too low during the winter and starts to cause shed problems. good luck with the new critter... :) ---jim

I think...

Moving the water bowl away from the hot side of the tank will also help a tiny bit with humidity. Water evaporates faster when it's warm.

Back