CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Want an edit button and other perks? Become a contributing member! Click here.

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Elemental Exotics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Elemental Exotics Welcome to Elemental Exotics! Hobby breeders working with Corn snakes, Thai Bamboo ratsnakes, Mandarin ratsnakes, African House snakes, Rosy boas, Rainbow boas and more!

Elemental Exotic's 2017 breeding season.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #31
Tavia
Finally!!!

First pip this morning. Looks like a Caramel, I think. From Mudd and Max's clutch.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #32
DLena
Beautiful little snoot!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #33
Tavia
Still just the one pip.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #34
Twolunger
64th day for my first clutch. I can hardly wait. Congrats on your first pip. Bet there will be many more to follow.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #35
DLena
Tavia, why do some people cut the eggs?

Old 07-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #36
Tavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
Tavia, why do some people cut the eggs?
I've never gotten a super good answer to that.

Impatience, worry over something going wrong, checking to see if an egg has died, etc are all reasons why you might cut but it's a delicate process to cut an egg without damaging the blood vessels or yolk inside and even with perfect control of the temps, nature is not totally text book, so you can't always know to the day when they are actually ready to pip, so you chance forcing one out of the egg too early.

I've never heard a good argument for routine egg cutting, like is done with most BP, Retic, etc eggs. Most colubrid breeders don't cut eggs except as an exception.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #37
Tavia
First baby is out and two more pips. I did trim the egg a bit on the left pip so he wasn't so constricted.

Looks like two Caramels so far and not sure but I think the baby in the trimmed egg is a Classic.

First one out has a perfect dorsal stripe from neck to tail tip. Didn't take a picture but it's belly is almost totally clear, with only a few random checks. Pretty neat head stamp on it too.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #38
DLena
Very pretty. I like the headstand, too. I don't think I'd ever be able to tell what a hatchling is, unless there was a CS Hatchlings For Dummies book out there.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #39
Tavia
Caramel is not the easiest to tell the difference between it and Classics before the first few sheds.

I first thought that they were all Caramel but a close up look to the picture of the other baby shows just a hint of red outlining the black stripes on it's nose and chin.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #40
DLena
So the hint of red would indicate a classic? And whatever the pairing was would also limit the options, too. See, now, if there was a picture-heavy book that specifically pointed out the tiny details and what they indicate, I could apply it and learn it. Maybe. Your babies are always beautiful.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google