CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Feeding schedule.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
LionessModeling
Feeding schedule.

Should I edit the feeding schedule of either snake?

The red highlighted parts on thursdays in the calender are feeding days for my snakes.

Common Anery - George is getting fed 1 hopper once a week for 6 weeks (he has been having regurg issues and is under weight) I've cut his meal size in half until he has had 6 meals without a regurg then I'll up his meal size a bit.

Blood Red Stripe - Aurora she is healthy weight and active I have her on a 14 day feeding rotation of 1 jumbo mouse a feeding.

Blood Red Stripe corn
Common Anery corn

Old 10-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
DollysMom
First, I applaud you for setting up a schedule and keeping a calendar.

I do question what size a jumbo mouse is. It may be a little too big. If your snake is gaining or losing weight you may need to adjust either prey size or feeding schedule. Also, even though some of my snakes will eat while they are in shed I usually do not feed them in shed so that will throw a schedule.

I'm guessing you have an android phone. You might find an app called "Time to Feed" helpful. Maybe not, but at least I want you to know about it.

Most of us use a digital kitchen or postal scale to weigh our snakes and keep a record of their weights. I also weigh the prey. That's how I know exactly what is going on. The other ways to judge is to make sure your corn snake has a nice "loaf of bread" cross section shape. On mouse size under normal circumstances (not regurge) you want a mouse that is no larger than 1 1/2 times the diameter of the snake at the snake's largest diameter. We do this visually, so if in doubt err on the too small side.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
LionessModeling
Aurora has been eating jumbo mice (1 size up from adult mice) since she was in her previous owners care and she is a nice loaf size.
Only thing I've changed is feeding her every 14 days instead of every 7 since she is healthy and has no health problems

Blood Red Stripe corn
Common Anery corn

Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
DollysMom
Best wishes. I think you are on the road to success. The fact that you obviously care, and ask questions, is a sign of a responsible snakekeeper.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
LionessModeling
Thank you so much for the kind words!
I love all my critters (snakes, cats, fish, & snails) I also love to learn and want to learn how to do and be the best I can for them all

Aurora - Blood Red Stripe corn
George - Common Anery corn

Old 10-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
LionessModeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
First, I applaud you for setting up a schedule and keeping a calendar.

I do question what size a jumbo mouse is. It may be a little too big. If your snake is gaining or losing weight you may need to adjust either prey size or feeding schedule. Also, even though some of my snakes will eat while they are in shed I usually do not feed them in shed so that will throw a schedule.

I'm guessing you have an android phone. You might find an app called "Time to Feed" helpful. Maybe not, but at least I want you to know about it.

Most of us use a digital kitchen or postal scale to weigh our snakes and keep a record of their weights. I also weigh the prey. That's how I know exactly what is going on. The other ways to judge is to make sure your corn snake has a nice "loaf of bread" cross section shape. On mouse size under normal circumstances (not regurge) you want a mouse that is no larger than 1 1/2 times the diameter of the snake at the snake's largest diameter. We do this visually, so if in doubt err on the too small side.
I looked for the "time to feed" app and I can not find it

Aurora - Blood Red Stripe corn
George - Common Anery corn

Old 10-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
DollysMom
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...feed.app&hl=en

I’m sorry. It’s no wonder you didn’t find it since I spelled it wrong.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Dragonling
I've not found a reminder app I like, so I've been using Google Calendar for reminders. I think at some point we may just make our own app.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google