CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Breeding Mice

Old 03-17-2006, 06:44 AM   #21
sweety314
I can tell I'm going to like it around here!!!! That was funny!

hee hee hee

Old 03-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #22
VinnyJ
aiden_punx - if you're going to take all the pinkies out at the same time and freeze them to use later then take them out the day they are born or wait until they are the appropriate size for your snakes. If you're only going to take a few out then it's best to do as Baba-Lou stated and wait 3 days. If you try to take a few out before 3 days the mother may eat the ones you left in the nest. Of course I've taken pinkies from the mother within the first three days many times and they just go on as usual. Some female mice are just more tolerant than others.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #23
diamondlil
I think it may be best to give the pinks a chance to suckle, the milk can be seen in their tummy and I'm sure I've read it is an extra nutritional boost?

Old 03-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #24
aiden_punx
cheers for that i will be taking all the first lot out i will leave them aday to get milk then take them put i have one pinky lkeft for next week and should have the first litter in a few days

Old 03-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #25
VinnyJ
Yes. Letting them suckle a bit will add some additional nutrients. It all depends on what size you need. For 1 to 3 week hatchlings corns I pull my pinkies as soon as I can because I have a higher success rate with the hatchlings eating smaller pinkies. Pinkies can double or even triple in size in the first three days. I have 10 bins of mice that I have designated for pinkies only... the rest I let grow for larger stock. I check the pinkie bins twice a day and pull any pinkies and freeze them. I'm trying to stock up for the hatchling season.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #26
aiden_punx
i have a candy cane corn that is mayb a few months old she is small because candys are smaller i belive here she is

Old 03-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #27
VinnyJ
By the size of your corn I'd say you'd be fine waiting 3 to 5 days on the pinkies. You can feed your corn a pinkie mouse 1.5 times the widest part of it's body.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #28
aiden_punx
ok thanks i just didn't want to let them get to big and then she decides she can't take it and i can't get hold of any smaller she has been feed once so far that was a hamster pinky was all i could get and that was 1 mayb 2 days old

Old 03-22-2006, 01:32 AM   #29
schilsound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba-Lou
It'll take roughly 5 days till they get to fuzzies. NO never offer them live to the snakes.
Just a quick question- why would you suggest never feeding the fuzzies live? I find no reason to say that at all. In general we can say a rodent that is the proper size for digestion can be safely handled by a corn, with some noteable exceptions being those gnarly young adult rats and the like.

Live rodents are at the perfect temperature for starting good digestion, the snake actually gets exercise during the contriction phase [and if you said don't feed live because of potential emotional disturbance at the squealing death of the rodent I would question why keep snakes in the first place? With a hearty "you can leave the room while the snake eats" following second just as an option] and it's pretty interesting to see the natural reaction of your new friends to live prey items.

In fact a lot of the excitement of owning a snake comes from the realization that in spite of the fact that they're captive-bred feeding on an alternate food source they retain so much instinct and drive from their heredity.

And finally if you're afraid of getting struck or mistakenly bitten by the snake you can use tongs, tweezers or hemos to dangle-feed the snake until you're more comfortable with their eating habits. This is crucial if you're using undersized food such as fuzzies or hoppers to an older snake that's used to larger items.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:36 AM   #30
3330PHILIP
I agree, even though a snake is captive it'd be great to see thier natural instincts and characteristics when fronted to live prey. However, my corn leaps and attacks hard at a dead fuzzie and constricts it so i don't know if i'll bother with live!!

I have heard if you feed your snake live stuff you could cause it to go off dead stuff. Is that right?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google