CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

custom decor

Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
Senusenu
custom decor

They are sealed with two coats of polycrylic, and the inside of the bowl up to the flat rim is coated in aquarium sealant. This is Sutekh's enclosure.

I had wiped down the glass, so there's some water drops on it. I've got two pieces of moss covered tree bark styled decorations, and one "rock" that I didn't originally intend to be rainbow, but then I got bored The piece at the far back right is meant to look like various fossils- ammonite, trilobite, fossil leaves, and petrified wood.

The following is a bowl that is almost complete. It has two coats of polycrylic, so I need to coat the inside in silicone and then let it sit for about 5 days before use.

Construction:

I have many more ideas I can't wait to create, and I am getting a little collection of stencils to add to my clay kit. I do have some colored clay, but generally I like to use plain clay and then hand paint it. I think each piece I make leads to an obvious improvement of skill, but I still have a long way to go.

Thanks for looking!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Kate
These are REALLY cool!
Have you always made clay stuff, or did you start because of the snakes?

Old 04-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
Senusenu
Thanks

I started because of the snakes. I saw another post someone had made about making custom hides for their snakes and I loved the idea, and I love being creative in general. I tend not to like the decor at shops except for the natural materials (cork, bamboo, etc) so I wanted to play around with making things I'd really enjoy and it's just too fun.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
SnizzySnazzletooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
These are REALLY cool!
What she said!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
smigon
What an AMAZING job you did! You should start making those and selling them here or on Etsy. You are amazingly talented!

I especially love the rainbow rock, it actually looks like colored quartz with the sheen.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
Senusenu
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
What an AMAZING job you did! You should start making those and selling them here or on Etsy. You are amazingly talented!

I especially love the rainbow rock, it actually looks like colored quartz with the sheen.
Thank you I am actually interested in developing some to try to sell, once I am satisfied that my construction is good and will hold up to moderate use. I doubt I could make anything for full grown snakes just yet, but I know what I have done so far, before the giant bowl, will certainly last them at least a year and a half. Udjat is about a year (I'll have had him for a year in June at least) and coule fit inside either of the hides two or three times over still.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 AM   #7
Kate
See, aren't snakes awesome?! They broaden horizons in so many ways!
I may have to come to you for tips & try my hand at decor making, sometime.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
Elsa
Very very nice! I have been thinking of doing some themed hides with clay, how heavy is the large one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Senusenu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa View Post
Very very nice! I have been thinking of doing some themed hides with clay, how heavy is the large one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
1031 grams, or about 2 pounds 4 ounces.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
yojoe05
These are amazing, I'd totally buy one if you start making them to sell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google