CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Log splitting

Old 03-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
DollysMom
Log splitting

I quickly learned that you absolutely can not safely remove a corn snake from an unsplit cork log, so now I make sure all logs are human accessible if needed.

In the past I was able to split my cork logs just by pulling them apart. I just bought a larger, more substantial log. I split it by sawing along the fissures with a "jab" saw. This log was a little complicated by a branch so I sawed in order to go around the branch.

After splitting the log, I washed it in hot water and removed all the loose inner bark. I held it together to dry with rubber bands.

Here it is open after cleaning and drying.

Here it is closed after cleaning and drying.

I will line it with spaghnum moss to size it to my snake and make it cozier. I do that by wetting the moss and then letting it dry in position.

I'm sure there are many ways to approach this but I have been asked in the past how to do it, so this is what I do.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
you are quite the resourceful lady!

Will that be for Miss Cleo, or Mr Clyde? (Your post mentions corn snakes, so I'm assuming Cleo will be the recipient). She will be so happy.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
DollysMom
Thanks, Karl!

The big log is for miss Cleo. Like any Mom, I try to be fair, but it's not always equal, lol.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Distaff
I'll have to add a couple to my next viv supply order.

Never thought of using them as hides, actually.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:58 PM   #5
DollysMom
Cleo prefers her logs to tp rolls! It's her favorite cool hide.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
DollysMom

Cleo is fast asleep in her old, little log this morning as I ready the new, larger one.

Here is the damp sphagnum moss layered in to dry. It has to be soaked and then squeezed out. If not it is just clumps and lumps of moss. It takes a day or so to dry when not enclosed. Soaking it also allows me to take out any sticks in the moss.

FYI this is ZooMed in the big block, but any organic sphagnum moss can be used. At the moment, it is the best package size versus overall price for me. I also use this stuff in my humid hides where it stays damp for at least a week at a time.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:54 AM   #7
kdickens
Then what? You have the 2 halves with moss on the bottom of one half. Do you just lay the top on the bottom half? If so, I imagine it stays in place okay? Looks like a great log! I'm keeping all this stuff in my head for when Loopy gets a larger viv.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
Then what? You have the 2 halves with moss on the bottom of one half. Do you just lay the top on the bottom half? If so, I imagine it stays in place okay? Looks like a great log! I'm keeping all this stuff in my head for when Loopy gets a larger viv.
Yes, that's exactly correct. When I decided where to split it, I also made sure it rested on its stable, natural bottom so it doesn't roll over. The lid just rests on top, but because it is not just straight it kind of fits a bit like a puzzle piece and stays in place. If when the snake gets a little too big the lid gets knocked aside, the cork is pretty light and will do no harm to the snake or the viv. That's how I knew the old log was too small. She was lifting the lid and pushing it askew when she went in there.

I wanted to add this last picture this morning. I put the new log in Cleo's viv and it received rave reviews. She found it and went in immediately! She's now happily hidden in her new bigger log.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Karl_Mcknight
Looks great. Makes you wonder why they don't sell them that way?

You'll probably have to do that several more times before she grows in to a "Keeper"

Old 03-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Looks great. Makes you wonder why they don't sell them that way?

You'll probably have to do that several more times before she grows in to a "Keeper"
Thanks Karl! No doubt that I will be making larger ones in the future. The good news is we can pass the smaller ones to her brother.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google