CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Log splitting

Old 03-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #11
Karl_Mcknight
"Hand-Me-Downs"

Old 03-26-2016, 12:38 AM   #12
kdickens
Thanks for the info! Where did you say you got your 'log'? I love this idea. Cleo looks great too, nice pic showing her colors.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #13
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
"Hand-Me-Downs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
Thanks for the info! Where did you say you got your 'log'? I love this idea. Cleo looks great too, nice pic showing her colors.
Thanks for the compliment on Cleo!

I got it at the Pangea Reptiles booth at Tinley NARBC last weekend. They are not the only ones at the show with cork rounds (official name for the logs), but they have huge boxes of cork rounds and flats you can rummage though until you can find what you want.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #14
DLena
This is a really great looking hide. I'm trying to make my vivs more natural looking and cozy. I'm going to have to look on line I think. Thanks for the easy to follow instructions!

Old 03-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #15
DollysMom
You are welcome, DLena. I'm so glad I could help!

Old 03-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
Nanci
I wonder if you could cut it like a puzzle, so it would stay together unless you pulled it apart. I've used flat cork, too. They love that stuff. They also love to poop on it, though.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #17
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I wonder if you could cut it like a puzzle, so it would stay together unless you pulled it apart. I've used flat cork, too. They love that stuff. They also love to poop on it, though.
You might be able to do that, though with the natural fissures of the cork it might be difficult. I also like that the lid is easy for me to lift. However, what I do is just a jumping off point for others. I hope they can and do make this little project their own.

I really love cork, too. It's much more washable than it looks, as well. None of mine (that includes my dear missing Dolly) have ever pooped on their cork, but each snake is different and my day may yet come, lol.

I did already post this on Cleo's progression, but here she is in her log. It doesn't seem to spook her when I open it. She just sits there until I pick her up or close it up again.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
BeauBoi
Thanks you for sharing this! What an awesome idea! I have been trying to come up with a "long hide" that my snakes can use in their new rack system, one that will let them choose where they want to be on the temperature gradient without having to leave the hide, and I think this is the perfect solution! Thanks!

I think reptile owners are some of the most creative and inventive people on earth!
~Beau

Old 03-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #19
DollysMom
Thanks for the kind words BeauBoi.

Let me know how it works out for you in the racks.

I use a half round that is almost flat for my other snake's warm hide that I have to keep at 90. Cork is an excellent insulator and really keeps the heat in for him. I love the safety factor in its being relativity light weight, too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google