• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tessera Debate

abell, any evidence yet? Didnt think so.

Well, Hey! Looky who woke up from their bender! Feelin' all frisky and nasty and just rearing to attack somebody is ya? OOH! How's that head? Are you finally able to form conscious thoughts again? Before you go getting your hackles all bunched up, and start arguing with me...
Why don't you prove what a good person you are, and apologize to Cornparadise for attacking him, when he was trying to help your side of the debate. I know you probably don't remember it, but just look through the thread, you'll find it. :grin01:

Well, Hey! Looky who woke up from their bender! Feelin' all frisky and nasty and just rearing to attack somebody is ya? OOH! How's that head? Are you finally able to form conscious thoughts again? Before you go getting your hackles all bunched up, and start arguing with me...
Why don't you prove what a good person you are, and apologize to Cornparadise for attacking him, when he was trying to help your side of the debate. I know you probably don't remember it, but just look through the thread, you'll find it. :grin01:

A previous response I had for you works great here as well:

I guess you aren't going to answer/address any of my questions/comments.

See you in a couple months. :wavey:

Of course, in any market, supply and demand are the driving forces that impact price. I didn't say value cuz that word is relative AND subjective.

As it is with many corn morphs, the "value" of the Tesseras is related to appearance AND potential. Also, like many other morphs, one of the best parts of breeding corns is the "thrill of discovery" gained from the anticipation of never knowing what variatiants will emerge from those eggs. Like there are no two "insert species here" members alike, Tessera offers variety on a potentially unprecedented scale. Stripe, busted stripe, wide stripe, narrow stripe, virtually no stripe, busy tessellated laterals, boring tessellation, and/or any combinations thereof. And let's not forget that while the quality of striping is unique to this species, the fact that the stripe recovers after breaks has never been seen in a corn mutation before. In stripes and striped motleys, once the stripe begins to break, it fizzles out entirely. Hence, the mutation behaves in reliable Mendelian fashion, but polygenetic forces will render decades of surprises. Of course, mixing them with the color (and color/pattern compounds) just pyramids the product inventory. To me, the main value in Tesseras is the fact that they are the first pattern mutation that is dominant in heritable fashion. Bred to ANY other corn (mutatant or not) renders 50% Tesseras. Add to that the reality that we still don't know what synergistic products may arise, and the reasons for higher prices are suddenly apparent. One novel aspect this "motley-looking" mutation provides is maintaining the black margins (white in albinos) around the markings. In the case of the classic Tessera "striping", black or white bordering the dorsal stripe zone was heretofore impossible with Motley-types. Also, black margins are retained on some of the lateral markings. Imagine this scheme in other color mutations?

BTW, in defense of Graham's comment about intentionally not hybridizing or promoting existing hybrids, most people don't consider Ultra types HYBRIDS. When they were first becoming popular, many on this forum debated their origins - even though the originator stated that he used a "gray snow" in their creation. It went back and forth to the point that some walked away from the exercise claiming that in the absence of proof, they proclaimed them to be PURE CORNS. You see, every new morph must endure the slings and arrows of suspicion. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's when people refuse to accept facts that the issue causes division in the ranks of corn keepers. And since that division of opinions essentially defines the reality that all people are different, nothing can be done to change that. I just wanted to point out that saying the words Ultra types are hybrids has been taboo, and often considered politically improper. Since most of us have an Ultra-type (or 10, 20, 50) and because most of us agree that keeping the P. guttatus species as pure as possible is the right thing to do, subconsciously, they have not been considered hybrids. The originally intergrade CREAMSICLES that are now humanly defined as HYBRIDS are probably more repulsed in the hobby than Ultra types - even though they are the product of much closer related species than the Ultras.

Back to work. I'll peek in as often as possible to address Tessera issues.

Thank all of you for reading.

Just thinking...

Last edited:
Allllrigghtt, now then...

Ooh, Are you coming to Daytona this year? Maybe I'll bring a cheese tray or a nice cheese platter. We can figure out which flavor goes best with your whine:grin01: OOOOH... Speaking of cheese...We can discuss your theory about the moon being made of cheese, indepth, (much to the nausea of any forum member or general public member within ear shot I am sure!):dancer:... Ohh ...And

Here let me refresh your memory of some OTHER things you've said ...
You have also said...

Do you even know what you are talking about.

You are are the one that said that the change in the pepper moth was the result of evolution, I said that the change was a result of SOTF.

No no, you full well implied, never said, but definitilly implied. But at this point, I really do not know what your point it.

Umm...don't you have an apology to make? To Cornparadise, amongst others?

Anyway...
I've already answered your questions. Go back and re-read the thread.

Speaking of implying...
Wanna discuss the "other" things implied in this thread? Do you REALLY? DO "other people" want you to? Values, Pricing, Conspiracy...CHEEEZE :devil01:

You also said in the past ( in regard to another controversial gene "Buff")...

Peer Reviewed? Statistical Confirmation? Scientific Circles? Slow down there buddy, you need to not use so many big words. You are assuming (you know what happens when you do that) that slangenboard and chuck know what all those words mean. Of course you can have statistical confirmation from only one offspring, that is why humans have made great genetic subjects for so many years. We humans can have so many babies so quickly that we were the first organism to be understood genetically. We were Gregor Mendel's model.

Oh wait, that's all wrong, Mendel studied pea plants, oh yeah, and he produced hundreds of offspring from one pairing, before he made conclusions. Then others reproduced and checked his work. That must have been what you were talking about with all this statistical conformation and peer reviewed garbage. :headbang:

It really was not that much to ask of the guy. Rule out caramel. Has not been done.

Rule out hybrid. It has not been done. AND To further muddy already muddy waters the Top breeders of the morph have anounced that they are, or plan to breed the morph first INTO known hybrids.

WHY... Mike, please tell me why????

I was thinking masque. :poke:

Or should that be spelled MASK ?

That's a good one Mike! :roflmao:

Abel the masque gene is not the mask worn by children on Halloween- you know that right?
I have read 100 hybrid threads in my life and I am against hybridization, but seriously for the last 3-4 pages your the only one being nasty and it's pointless. I am sure tessera will be bred into hybrids as is every other gene, but what do you think that will prove. Testing for a specific gene like caramel is completely different than mating two entirely different species for results. A snake tested for caramel will yield caramel babies if the unknown gene involved is in fact caramel- if not no caramel babies will pop up in the clutch and caramel could be ruled out. Testing tessera against say a rat snake is not going to yield rat snakes therefore it's not the most reliable way to see if tessera in fact is the byproduct of hybridization. You would get a mix of corn/rat looking babies some looking more like a corn, others looking more like a rat, and others who look like a decent mix of both- this is why hybrids can make it into the market as purebred in the first place- they are that variable.

The bottom line with any morph is without a lot of money and known pure samples of DNA you can't prove or disprove whether they are hybrids unless there are several phenotype markers which tessera's do not have from what I've seen. Why not leave this argument with the knowledge you think they are hybrids and be happy with that? Not everyone agree's or disagree's with you and no one has any proof to the contrary:)

Danielle,
If I have been "nasty" I feel it's only because I have allowed some of Graham and Mike's previous posts and interactions to influence my postings. I apologize.:shrugs:

The bottom line with any morph is without a lot of money and known pure samples of DNA you can't prove or disprove whether they are hybrids unless there are several phenotype markers which tessera's do not have from what I've seen.

Why do ppl keep saying that he/she don't see any "markers"? Ummm,the pattern.

Whoty, by the 'logic' you are trying to employ in this debate, motley, stripe, sunkissed, bloodred, zigzag, aztec, and in fact any individual with connected saddles or otherwise aberrant markings must be a hybrid because the pattern no longer looks like a corn pattern.

That just doesn't work!

Tessera is a pattern modifying gene. That means the gene is going to change the markings on the snake. And that is exactly why it cannot be used as a hybrid marker in this case.

Last edited:
I have seen motley in a WC upper keys corn. Found in an electric box by a lineman down in south Florida. (I wasn't told the exact locality).

Why do ppl keep saying that he/she don't see any "markers"? Ummm,the pattern.

Shiari said it in a different way, but I have to agree with her. The argument that the pattern is a marker is just... I don't know how to say it nicely - not a good one. A marker would be more like a different count in scalation, a different head shape, or something to that effect where you were actually seeing a difference in the build of the snake. But, basing your whole assumption that they're hybrids on the pattern or color of the snake is really reaching at anything just to scream hybrid. I think this dead horse has been kicked enough and Don's information and evidence have only helped to disprove the unfounded theories that they're hybrids. Unfortunately, there are always going to be those that are jealous or just bored and want to stir the pot. Enjoy stirring whoty :cool:

Whoty, you can rule out the pattern 'alone' being a marker for hybrid since that is the variable claimed as a corn pattern mutation. We are interested in knowing if any other differences are there. Striped morphs exist in other pure species that are normally patterned, take bp's for ex... Not sure the motley-like pattern does, only in corns afaik.

Not sure the motley-like pattern does, only in corns afaik.

Boas as well. :) Mmm, anery motley BCI....sorry, drifted off into dreamland for a minute.

I generally don't get into these discussions as I'm not against hybridization, as long as they are sold/represented as such (I have a pair of creamsicles and a few of their offspring)...but since I commented on the motley pattern, I suppose I'll throw my two cents in (even though my thoughts have all been stated by others). I see nothing that would indicate that tesseras are hybrids and I trust the breeders involved to portray their animals in the proper way (such as in the case with the anery tessera here).

Remember I said SEVERAL phenotype markers like scale counts, structure, eye shape, scale size and shape, head structure, size of the full grown specimen, belly scales, color, and markings, and yes pattern. The tessera pattern is definitely strange in a great way, but it is only the pattern that has naysayers believing their hybrids. One out of many phenotype characteristics isn't enough to definitively say these are hybrids hence me saying there's no reliable way to prove or disprove the claim.

I comes down to 1) how you feel about hybrids, and 2) if you believe the tessera is a hybrid. If you like hybrids #2 doesn't matter, if you don't like hybrids as I do not then your belief one way or the other will determine whether or not you seek to own one. The integrity of the corn species is already iffy, but in all honesty I don't believe anyone is intentionally misleading us on their lineage.

Shiari said it in a different way, but I have to agree with her. The argument that the pattern is a marker is just... I don't know how to say it nicely - not a good one. A marker would be more like a different count in scalation, a different head shape, or something to that effect where you were actually seeing a difference in the build of the snake. But, basing your whole assumption that they're hybrids on the pattern or color of the snake is really reaching at anything just to scream hybrid. I think this dead horse has been kicked enough and Don's information and evidence have only helped to disprove the unfounded theories that they're hybrids. Unfortunately, there are always going to be those that are jealous or just bored and want to stir the pot. Enjoy stirring whoty :cool:

But isn't that how you tell a Creamsicle from an amel corn? Based on color?:shrugs:

...I generally don't get into these discussions as I'm not against hybridization, as long as they are sold/represented as such (I have a pair of creamsicles and a few of their offspring)...but since I commented on the motley pattern, I suppose I'll throw my two cents in (even though my thoughts have all been stated by others). I see nothing that would indicate that tesseras are hybrids and I trust the breeders involved to portray their animals in the proper way (such as in the case with the anery tessera here).

I comes down to 1) how you feel about hybrids, and 2) if you believe the tessera is a hybrid. If you like hybrids #2 doesn't matter, if you don't like hybrids as I do not then your belief one way or the other will determine whether or not you seek to own one. The integrity of the corn species is already iffy, but in all honesty I don't believe anyone is intentionally misleading us on their lineage.

Really? Did you read Don's post carefully?

...most people don't consider Ultra types HYBRIDS. When they were first becoming popular, many on this forum debated their origins - even though the originator stated that he used a "gray snow" in their creation. It went back and forth to the point that some walked away from the exercise claiming that in the absence of proof, they proclaimed them to be PURE CORNS. You see, every new morph must endure the slings and arrows of suspicion. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's when people refuse to accept facts that the issue causes division in the ranks of corn keepers. And since that division of opinions essentially defines the reality that all people are different, nothing can be done to change that. I just wanted to point out that saying the words Ultra types are hybrids has been taboo, and often considered politically improper. Since most of us have an Ultra-type (or 10, 20, 50) and because most of us agree that keeping the P. guttatus species as pure as possible is the right thing to do, subconsciously, they have not been considered hybrids. The originally intergrade CREAMSICLES that are now humanly defined as HYBRIDS are probably more repulsed in the hobby than Ultra types - even though they are the product of much closer related species than the Ultras.
Back to work. I'll peek in as often as possible to address Tessera issues.

Thank all of you for reading.

That's a question you have to ask yourselves. Are Tesseras being acurately represented? If Ultramels ARE hybrids, and they are and were misrepresented, then even Rich Z was selling hybrids something he has always claimed to be dead set against. If they aren't, then the hybrid markers seen in the new Tessera babies comes from somewhere else.
This excerpt implies to me, that everyone suspected that they were hybrids. However, there was too much money being generated by thier sales, to actually say it. I don't believe that Ultras EVER sold for as much as Tesseras are selling for so...

You can decipher the rest of the implications and ramifications for yourselves.

But isn't that how you tell a Creamsicle from an amel corn? Based on color?
No. You can't tell a creamsicle from an Amel. I've asked in several threads for definitive markers for this minor task and noone can do it.

If Don's information is accurate, then the "originator" of the Ultras obviously lied to everyone to create that market. The only hybridization you could claim with Tessera at this point would be those bred into Ultra. Let's just cut to the chase. Are you accusing KJ, Graham and Don of lying about Tessera?

D80

But isn't that how you tell a Creamsicle from an amel corn? Based on color?:shrugs:

Quiet simply, no you can't tell simply from coloration. So, to pull a page from your book, why don't you go research and figure out what else it takes to determine the difference. It won't be that easy, the more corn blood it contains, the more the creamsicle appears to be a corn. Are you really suggesting a snake that is say 85% corn and 15% emoryi can be picked out by color alone, EVERYTIME? Oh and how are your creamsicles doing, you remember, the pair you picked up in 2006? Or the rootbeers and jungle you got in 2002 and 2003 (I think the dates are right). Oh and did you ever get those bairds x corns yo were looking for?

"Before you pick this apart because I am not "in" or part of the "click".
PLEASE read what this says, and actually THINK about what it means.
Please forgive me if I go "ALL-OVER" the place. If you need clarification I will be happy to try. PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!!
"

You said that in a thread YOU started to debate if Miami Phase could behave in a simple recessive fashion. Of course, to be fair, you did state those were your "crack pot ideas". Wouldn't it have been nice if you lived by those rules when you joined in this thinly veiled "debate" thread thread?

You also once posted you wanted a Miami Phase corn and an Emoryi to breed them together, you also purchased the hybrids mentioned above, so obviously you are not against hybrids/integrades. This only leaves the fact you wish to attack Graham, Don and KJ's reputation. I think the nail was hit on the head long ago, you ARE the jealous type. Maybe I am wrong, but much like your "crack pot ideas", that is my thought on you.

You know, this will possibly get me banned (I hope not), but abell and whoty, I think you are an idiots. I am tired of reading your attempts to debate this subject. You are content to continue to stir the pot. I am not silly enough to try and convince you of anything by continuing to post. Neither of you have caused me to get my "panties in a bunch". I just wanted the release of telling you both what I though.

Oh, one final thing abeel, you have asked a few other posters if they want to discuss this with you in person. Well, I will be in Daytona and I will be more than happy to discuss this with you in person if you want too.

dc

Yes Brent he is:)

Abel Don claims ultra's are hybrids and therefore stated any tessera ultra morphs were hybrids- yes he said it and yes I read it. However, that doesn't make non ultra tessera's hybrids, and no I don't believe they are misleading us when they state this. Remember the parents lineage from the original tessera's were unknown so is it possible? Sure, but as I already have said in two posts now because of natural and forced hybridization the purity of any corn is iffy. Obviously you won't be a future tessera owner and thats fine, but why keep fighting a subject with no answers other than the one's you've been given?

Genetic Purity ???

Just wanted everyone to be clear on a few points pertaining to this thread. Those of you that know me, know that I have been a missionary in telling people the Ultra mutation had hybrid origins. When the debates first raged, I was blue in the face reminding everyone that the originator declared that he used a gray rat & snow corn in the first pairing. In fact, only after that original breeder discovered how unpopular hybrids were - did he claim that in the same year he bred a regular snow corn to that first UltraHypo (as he called them) and therefore some of us in the hobby actually did have pure corns. Whether he did or did not, the die was cast. Some still say, "I can see that I got one of the pure Ultra types since I don't see any alien markers", but we all know that if you pour enough water over a cup of milk in your bathtub, you'll end up with a bathtub of clear water. Yes, it is uber watery, clear milk (or invisibly milky water), but the milk is still there (I'm not counting all the pathogens on the surface of the tub or the additives in the water). Therefore, some Ultra types show NONE of the hybrid markers seen in early generations, but honestly, I rarely see one of those. Again, anyone that knows me will tell you that I never claimed Ultra types (Ultras and Ultramels) were pure corns, and I am often the first one that brings up the hybrid reality in conversations. If you go back to the forum archives, they will bear me out. Also, you will see that a decision was made on this forum to consider them pure corns. THIS is the reason you have not seen people calling them hybrids. By the time the debate began, hundreds of people had already bred the Ultra mutation into "allegedly" pure corns. This brings us back to perception. If you perceive that all corns not exhibiting hybrid markers are pure corns, that is only your perception. In reality, it doesn't take many subsequent generations of breeding a hybrid snake back to the desired phenotype - to end up with 95%+ pure-looking corns. Hence, in the absence of nDNA testing (expensive and potentially unrevealing), the appearance of a corn has little to do with its' true genotype. If you rely on mtDNA, you're only seeing maternal heritage.

Regarding the opinions some are making based on seeing the Tessera X Ultramel progeny I showed, those aberrant markings on the Anery and Ultramel are indeed markings that people should question (since they are not common in non Ultra Tesseras), BUT I've seen allegedly pure motleys with the same aberrant markings. Are motleys hybrids? Let's hope not. Of course - as stated previously - we don't question zagging on lavenders and aztec markings in any color compound. My point is that if you have only seen those Tesseras, know that they represent less than 3% of all the Tesseras I've produced. When I have time, I'll post pix of the non Ultra Tesseras for your review. Bottom line (as someone already stated); the Tessera mutants demonstrate no more atypical markings than motleys. And if anyone says that any cornsnake mutant demonstrates hybrid markers simply because it doesn't look like a wild corn, then, they should not invest in any corn that does not look like a wild-type. Drawing the conclusion that because Tesseras do not have wild-type pattern and are therefore hybrids is like saying albinos can't be pure corns OR striped corns must be garter or ribbon snake hybrids.

BTW, the Tessera mutation is demonstrated in at least one other rat snake species, Elaphe situla. In speaking to Karl Krumke of Winding Creek Herps, he confirmed that the Tessera-like mutation in that species is inherited dominantly. If you turn to Plate 31 in the book "A Monograph of the Colubrid Snakes of the Genus Elaphe - Fitzinger" by Klaus-Dieter Schultz - [Koeltz Scientific Books - 1996], you will see several examples of this pattern mutation. Automatically presuming that the Tessera mutation must have derived from that species demands the parallel that motley and striped corns surely derived from other snake species. Since all colubrid snakes of the world have a common ancestor, eventually, virtually all pattern mutations will be found in all species.

Regarding the photograph links submitted by me a few days ago, pic URLs
http://www.cornsnake.net/Tessera/test04jn10a.jpg
http://www.cornsnake.net/Tessera/test06jn10a.jpg
http://www.cornsnake.net/Tessera/test29jn10a.jpg
represent over and under shots of pure corns from a Hypo bred to a Snow.

Brain fodder: Have you any idea how many non-mutant Ultra/Ultramel siblings are sold every year as non-mutants? Since thousands are produced and sold annually in our hobby, the chance of you having one or more of those is high. There would be NO way you could distinguish one from any other non-mutant corn. In fact, the most common non Ultra/Ultramel siblings are Amels. I'm betting that over 90% of you out there unknowingly own some of those. If a "purist" made the decision to get rid of all their corns (or rats, kings, bulls, etc.) in a preliminary effort to start a species pure snake collection from reliably wild-caught stock, they could likely never again own a mutation of the respective species. Since we don't have pedigrees of our snakes that reliably go back dozens of generations, there would be no way for you to determine the genetic purity of ANY snake, AND how reliable are the pedigrees we have? Also, keep in mind that only the likes of thoroughbred horses that sometimes cost millions of dollars require strict DNA evidence of every generation. Likewise, no-one can really say for sure that their champion dog does not have DNA from a different breed. And I'm not referring to all dog species originating from wolves.

Please, don't take this to be a defense of hybridization. Again, I have never missed an opportunity to mention the hybrid origins of the Ultra mutation - when engaged in conversations about them. I'm not trying to justify hybridization in corns. I'm only setting the record straight on the likelihood that hybrids are in all of our collections. Even though many of us knew the Ultra mutation was not of pure corn origins (via confession by the originator), the reigning forum of the realm at that time (CS) specifically declared that in so much as the credibility of the original breeder was in question and that there were already so many Ultra types in collections, they were considered pure corns. If you find those archives, you will see my staunch opposition to that decision.

Finally: Are Tesseras hybrids? No more than Motleys in my experienced opinion.

"Oh, one final thing abeel, you have asked a few other posters if they want to discuss this with you in person. Well, I will be in Daytona and I will be more than happy to discuss this with you in person if you want too.

dc

Uh oh abell,you better watch your back.:laugh01:

Back