CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

het Motley or just a Temperature caused?

Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
lajes
Question het Motley or just a Temperature caused?

Ok at first these lil critters come from a Anery x classic het amel het anery pairin.
In the whole clutch there were these very odd lookin normals.
A friend of mine hatched em out n now we are debating bout if the parents
are het motley or is itīs just caused of incubating temperatures.

In my opinion both parents are het motley but whats your guess?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
fyrefocks
Het motley, to my knowledge, has never had a *ringer*. Drizzt hatched almost an entire clutch of notleys that look very similar to yours. You should chalk it up to complete randomness and nothing more.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Nanci
It would be kind of cool to hold back a pair to breed together. _Something_ is going on. I have not heard of temps/incubation incidents causing a change in belly pattern...

Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
lajes
Indeed thatīs exactly what iīm thinking about!
Even the lateral and head pattern are totaly wierd
n i havent ever seen corns with that kinda pattern
caused from incubation temps!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
fyrefocks
Check out this thread...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101235

Nanci, i know you were in on the thread, so you know Drizzt got a few babies patterned like this one, though his had much more patterning on the belly. Yet his animals have no motley in them so far as he can trace back through his records.

Id say fluke before i ever considered saying ringer.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Nanci
Yeah, but Brent's babies didn't have nearly-plain bellies like this one. Well, there was one with split belly checks, which is one sign of the masque gene (wonder if it was female). But Brent's didn't have connected "mots" like these do. The head pattern here is bizarre. It doesn't seem like neural crest migration was affected during incubation because the pattern is symmetrical, not offset.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
fyrefocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Yeah, but Brent's babies didn't have nearly-plain bellies like this one. Well, there was one with split belly checks, which is one sign of the masque gene (wonder if it was female). But Brent's didn't have connected "mots" like these do. The head pattern here is bizarre. It doesn't seem like neural crest migration was affected during incubation because the pattern is symmetrical, not offset.
Ive produced connected mots from not mot x not mot pairings before. I like to think of them as cleaner zig zags. And as for the belly issue, mots can have belly checks, so why cant non mots have no belly checks?

I know corns have been bred for a long time now, or so it seems, but i dont think we've seen nearly everything that we're going to see.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefocks View Post
I know corns have been bred for a long time now, or so it seems, but i dont think we've seen nearly everything that we're going to see.
Exactly. I'm saying _I_ think it's more likely a genetic influence of a known or unknown gene or combination of genes rather than a developmental fluke. I'd like to see the whole clutch!!

Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
fyrefocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Exactly. I'm saying _I_ think it's more likely a genetic influence of a known or unknown gene or combination of genes rather than a developmental fluke. I'd like to see the whole clutch!!
If this is the case, then what are the odds that Drizzt and the OP both hit the same known/unknown gene from parents that probably arent related? Astro-hugely-gargantoginormously near impossible!

That being said, OP and Brent need to work something out. I know B. kept at least one of those oddities back for himself.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Nanci
I don't think they look at all alike.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
incubation, motley, poss hets