CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Don Soderberg's Palmetto

Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #91
Camby
If it is the same chocolate chip black rat that I mentioned a few years ago, then they are nothing alike. Doug Moody had a teenage boy bring him a snake that was a black rat with whitish to gray ground color and numerous "chocolate" chip colored spots all over. That snake perished in a heater accident before it was ever reproduced and that was back in the mid to early 90's so that snake has nothing to do with this morph.

Maybe you are referring to another one?

dc

Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #92
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camby View Post
If it is the same chocolate chip black rat that I mentioned a few years ago, then they are nothing alike. Doug Moody had a teenage boy bring him a snake that was a black rat with whitish to gray ground color and numerous "chocolate" chip colored spots all over. That snake perished in a heater accident before it was ever reproduced and that was back in the mid to early 90's so that snake has nothing to do with this morph.

Maybe you are referring to another one?

dc

Yeah, hard to say. The Dutch guy that asked about this that the other poster is referring to claims he saw a photo of it about 8 or so years ago, and has since vanished never to be heard of again. Now I see why he was asking about it seemingly out of nowhere..LOL!

As for the Tessera's,.... All I know is I do not believe for one split second that the Tessera is a product of hybridization whatsoever. Nothing even remotely about it says anything other than authentic P. guttatus..

~Doug

Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #93
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I found a document from the Portsmouth Reptile and Amphibian Society listing chocolate chip as being a mutation of black rat snake. It's also listed on The Ratsnake Foundation forum but apparently there was only one photo of the morph, not shown of course.
LOL!!, I saw that too the other day Susan. To look any further one had to be a paying contributor.......

~Doug

Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #94
nmoore601
So I take it none of you are buying the palmetto. Whats the big waste of time chasing some ratsnake that has nothing to do with the palmetto?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #95
SnakeAround
I dunno, I was just wondering if anybody over here had heard about the chocolate crisp ratsnake to verify part of what the Dutch guy is telling. If somebody would have been able to tell what happened to the chocolate chip, like it died soon after discovery or it turned out to be a non inheritive trait, I could have told the Dutch guy about that.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #96
nmoore601
That ratsnake has no ties to the palmetto. Somebody gets something great and folks wanna make up all these conspiracys.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #97
SnakeAround
I know and it annoys me, that is why I hoped to be able to shut the guy up with facts.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #98
nmoore601
I will ask some of my buddies. Thanks for the support snakearound.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #99
SnakeAround
You're welcome nmoore. Are you gonna work with palmetto?

Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #100
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoore601 View Post
So I take it none of you are buying the palmetto. Whats the big waste of time chasing some ratsnake that has nothing to do with the palmetto?
To be quite honest, I like to know any and ALL natural histories and morph origins....especially regarding anything colubrid. I also like to look at the examples to take note of any key characteristics as to what their identity might actually be. In my case, it wouldn't necessarily have to pertain to the Palmetto at all. I wanted to know about the Chocolate Chip mutation of the Black Ratsnake regardless because I am into far more different types of snakes than just cornsnakes.

A great example of this would be just last night when a girl emailed me and said she just acquired a so-called "charcoal" Black Ratsnake for $30 bucks. Can't wait to see what she "actually" got since there is no such known morph as a "charcoal" Black Rat..

cheers, ~Doug

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google