CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

How pure must a corn be to be truely pure?

Old 05-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #91
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikisquid View Post
Ooh, do they have a latex-free variety for those with allergies? My auntie has issues and I'd hate for her to puff up and die from a snake.

Actually that snake is a cutie pie too.
Oh, I wonder if Nitrile snakes come in blue & purple.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #92
hikisquid
Ooh that would be excellent to get a blue one! And do you need to keep them on a powdered substrate?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #93
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheather View Post
Oh, I wonder if Nitrile snakes come in blue & purple.
If I were going that route, I think I would prefer one that was rainbow colored with hot pinks, bright oranges, sky blues, cherry reds, etc. The temperament would have to be laid back, calm, cool, and collected. A nice striped pattern.... that would be the ticket. Feeder mice would be one solid color, but varying colors for different days. The snakes hide would have to be a richly colored apple of gigantic proportions and a voice box with a few key words or phrases installed in our rubber snake as well. I mean, why have a rubber snake as a pet if it can't also talk?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #94
gelshark
If I were to hybridize a chamaleon and and and and and and and and and and and and and a corn snake I would lable them as pure hybrid. Just an FYI.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #95
hikisquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
If I were going that route, I think I would prefer one that was rainbow colored with hot pinks, bright oranges, sky blues, cherry reds, etc. The temperament would have to be laid back, calm, cool, and collected. A nice striped pattern.... that would be the ticket. Feeder mice would be one solid color, but varying colors for different days. The snakes hide would have to be a richly colored apple of gigantic proportions and a voice box with a few key words or phrases installed in our rubber snake as well. I mean, why have a rubber snake as a pet if it can't also talk?
Good point! I would like to also program it to be a security snake. It would be awesome to let a big old rubber snake patrol the house!

Old 05-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #96
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelshark View Post
If I were to hybridize a chamaleon and and and and and and and and and and and and and a corn snake I would lable them as pure hybrid. Just an FYI.
How pure does a hybrid need to be to be a pure hybrid? You might as well toss in some chicken in this hybrid of yours as well. A winged corn snake. Now how cool would that one be? Hybrids toss in so much more variety. Hybrids are the spice of life.

I like the idea of a programmed security snake as well. Albeit, I'd pick different colors for my security snake. Probably fire engine red, charcoal black, banana yellow and opal white.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #97
Carpe Serpentis
"The founder (discoverer) of the Ultra mutation states that he originally paired a grey rat snake with a corn snake, in the discovery of this mutation. By the time most of us were made aware of the HYBRID origins of Ultra types (originally named Ultra Hypos), we had already bred it into many other corn snake mutations. It was therefore collectively decided that in so much as it would be virtually impossible to track down (and eliminate) each and every snake containing the Ultra gene (surely thousands of individuals in the collections of hundreds of breeders and keepers), the mutation would be treated like other pure corns." http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/ultra.php
To me this gives us some insight into how pure a corn snake must be to be considered pure.

What I find of interesting note, is that there are many hybrids that have been produced between corn snakes and milks, kings, etc., but if we are to look at this site...
http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/speci..._guttata/?sid=

Only a very few are listed.... those of the grey and great plains ratsnake.
I take this as odd as there are a great many more hybrids out there, but these hybrids listed seem to be those that have garnered more acceptance.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #98
airenlow
Please read the other theories on Ultra...

Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #99
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
Please read the other theories on Ultra...
This .

Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #100
Carpe Serpentis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_snake
"Ultra Ultra is a hypomelanistic-like gene that is an allele to the amelanistic gene. Ultra corn snakes have light grey lines in place of black. The Ultra gene is derived from the grey rat snake. All Ultras and Ultramels have some amount of grey rat snake in them."

"History: There is alot of contraversity surrounding the Ultra hypo on whether it is a pure cornsnake or a hybrid Cornsnake crossed with a Grey Ratsnake, Pantherophis obsoletus spiloides. The original snake that started this line was wild caught in Hillsborough County, Tampa, Florida; by whom no one is sure but this animal came into the possesion of Mike Falcon in the early 90's. He described the snake as having unusual colouration, with very little black and was very yellow. Mike Falcon has said that he bred the original 'Ultra' Corn to both Normal Corns and to a Snow x Grey/Corn cross. It would then appear that there are Ultra's out there that are of hybrid origin and those that are pure. A long debate on this, and one that tries to unravel both the history and inheritance of this cultivar can be found on Cornsnakes.com. The Ultra history is very patchy and probably will never be known for sure. " http://www.ratsnakefoundation.org/in...ltra-cornsnake

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google