CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Scale less Corns anyone?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #21
bitsy
Man alive. That photo makes my skin crawl, in the same way that fur-less dogs and cats do. Personal opinion only, but - yeugh!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #22
El Jefe
WOW! That is an awesome snake. I've seen the scaleless bulls/pines and some scaleless puff adders....but a corn....WOW!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #23
Nanci
I wonder what its shed looks like...

Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #24
BT41042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Looks 100% hybrid to me. Not just the fact that it has no scales, it's colours are all wrong for a normal (or any other pure corn I have seen) and its head is the wrong shape.
One more time - 100% Corn - No hybrid...Their heads are not the wrong shape...The colors look weird because they have no scales - Same goes for the shape of their head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyah View Post
What morph is that one in the original picture?

How does the mutation behave - dominant, recessive?

Do specific adaptations have to be made for these snakes for them to live safely?

Is it completely scaleless, or do residual scales remain? Does its belly have scales? Vent area?
The Corn in the pic is a normal...Recessive trait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckkat View Post
No thanks, I prefer to see data rather then listen to it.
That's a shame - You could ahve heard the "data" straight from the horses mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriathiel View Post
I'm not going to lie - I like the way it looks.

However I do want to see some facts from the breeder - in his own words on the snakes themselves as to how well they survive. I wouldn't want to have a snake that never had a healthy happy life just because it looked different.
Once again - Get the info from the horses mouth - Last 10-15 minutes of last Saturday nights www.blogtalkradio.com/reptileradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohrSnakes View Post
WOW! That is an awesome snake. I've seen the scaleless bulls/pines and some scaleless puff adders....but a corn....WOW!
That's what I think too...

To be honest - I figured a few people would give me flake but dead gum...To each their own...Now I remember why I lurk and don't post...LOL...Thanks for all the opinions and good luck to everybody with their projects...
BT

Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #25
toyah
Hairless and scaleless animals always bring up strong feelings in people - you either love them or hate them!

I personally think from those photos that snake looks amazing, but I'd be reluctant to be positive about it or buy one until I had satisfied myself there were no welfare issues for the snake.

How long have these been in existance? You mention they eat, feed, reproduce fine ... how old is the oldest naked corn? Does it have scarring or similar from "everyday life", like naked rats/cats/dogs tend to get?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #26
Roy Munson
I've seen some scaleless TX rats in person, and they're kind of cool looking, but kind of disturbing too. It's nothing I have any interest in dealing with. One fear I have is the mutant gene entering the general captive genepool.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #27
Nanci
Here are some reduced scale (kind of cool) and scaleless dragons- they look naked and weird to me.

http://www.dachiu.com/projects.html

Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #28
Kevin S.
Sorry BT, I've always thought scaleless snakes were cool and I'm very glad you posted this. It's a shame so many people are quick to call an animal a hybrid just because it looks different-it's rumors like that which can hurt a breeder's reputation even if their animals are 100% pure. There were plenty of morphs that tended to be problem feeders originally (just as one example), so I don't know why everyone is so interested in focusing on the potential negatives of this trait as if no other new morphs came with issues to work out. I know I'd be interested in owning a scaleless corn, though I expect they'll command a very high price for quite some time.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #29
clipclopclip
They look interesting, but I would also worry about the animal hurting itself easily. It would be stressful to own an animal that could easily get hurt, IMO. That would be my only worry.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #30
mactopa
Thanks god that snakes can`t screm.
somewhere should be the frontier for specific breed.
In my opinion is it cruel breed I hope nobody will start with it in europe especially in germany

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google