CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Bioactive substrate (BAS) Natural viv - a why and “how-to” guide.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #61
Floof
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenL View Post
Can I ask what "cleaning crew" organisms did you add, & did you collect them from the wild or order them from a supplier? With my gecko tanks I added some isopods & a few millepedes from our yard. I never see them but the tanks never smell bad so I'm guessing they are still there doing their job!
Karen, I can't speak for what Robbie uses... But I have springtails in a few of mine (they volunteered, aka magically appeared, and I love them!), and have begun adding a few sp of isopod into skink enclosures. I plan to start adding them to a tortoise and a snake viv once I have enough!

Old 03-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #62
KarenL
Thank you Taylor - I guess I will be out collecting more pills bugs then!

Old 03-23-2014, 01:11 AM   #63
Chromatic Corns
I'll be collecting earthworms and pill bugs for mine as soon as weather allows

Old 05-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #64
KarenL
I've not set up a bioactive tank (40 gallon) for Isis using the recipe from this thread. I introduced her to it last night and she immediately burrowed into the substrate and I've not seen her since. I'm slightly concerned because although the humidity is around 50%, the substrate seems very loose - there are no visible "burrows". Is this a risk to her? Do I need to compact the substrate more or increase the humidity?

Old 05-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #65
KarenL
That should read I have now set up a bioactive tank!

Old 05-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #66
MysticExotics
I personally would not use any wild collected bugs, because you do not know what king of pesticides or whatnot they might have come in contact with, that could harm your reptile.

I have gotten some isopods from a friend, who cultivates her own, that she got from a reliable breeder.
I will be ordering some from NE Herp in the near future.

Some shows/expos have people there who sell bugs, as well.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #67
dadcoy
Raising an old topic....but I am new to corns, I do have my geckos and monitor in bio active setups. My concern with corns on this is live plants need UV, and I just went through a thread I started about lights and was lead to believe UV is a REALLY bad idea for corns. Any thoughts? Maybe so low light plants that will be ok with just minimal room sunlight

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google