CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Building your own rack system

Old 07-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #191
whytepizza
Ok, i actually joined this site just so that i could go onto this forum. So, my question. I would want to run heat tape underneath the cages, towards the back to allow for a hot end and a cool end. So, i was thinking about cutting out a small (maybe 2mm deep) ravine for the heat tape to sit in. Then i was going to tack it down and still cover it with aluminum tape. Ten, in order to reduce friction i was going to put a nice shelf liner on so the bins would slide easily.
I know the only way heat tape will work is to allow it to dissipate. Do you think i will be restricting the flow of the heat too much and could be causing a potential fire?
What i want to do is set each shelf on a dimmer and then buy an on/off thermometer as a backup in case it over heats.
As i look on the heat tape webpages it says never allow the heat to rise above 95 degrees. If i keep covering it, do you think i will have to come close to that 95 degrees?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #192
whytepizza
While i think of it, and sorry for the new message. But everyone has been mentioning heat tape (and yes, i realize the thread in about 2 years old) but what about heat rope? The only reason i ask is because i already have there rope, but i doubt it would heat as well as i would like.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #193
TripleMoonsExotic
When you create your heat tape ravine, if you do it the whole way to the sides and leave the sides open for air flow, you should be ok with covering it with aluminum tape and shelf liner on the top.

Any heating product should be controlled by a thermostat. That goes for heat tape, heat rope, heat lamps and under tank heaters. If you have a decent thermostat, their is little risk of a heating product overheating.

I purchased and attempted to use heat rope about 2 years ago. It did not reach the temperatures I needed it to. I've heard people have great success (I think those that don't have cold winters), but I was not so lucky. Maybe mine was a fluke batch?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #194
whytepizza
Awesome, thanks.
I am definitely going to wire it to a dimmer switch, and then plug the dimmer switch into an emergengy on/off thermostat. I will tape the thermostat probe directly to the tape itself.
So, here is my plan, and i know it's alot of work. I want to build a rack for five different types of snakes. Hognose, cornsnake, red tail, ball python, and tree boa. So, i wanted to do four aboreal size tubs on the bottom (two on bottom and then two more on top of that) then see if i have enough room to do either short sweater boxes on top of that (do 4 high) or large show boxes (about 5 gal or so) and also fit 4. Then i want to do 4-8 hatchling tubs on top of that. all in the same rack.
Now, this is the fun part for me. I am going to wire seperate dimmer swicthes for each and every level. I'm fine with sodering and electrical tape so all i need to do is buy the wire itself. The reason i was thinking heat rope is because i have 50+ feet. I think i will use that as extra heating for the bottom shelf since it will be for amazon tree boas who need a good amount of humidity.
I have a feeling i am looking at a 9 foot tall rack, if that is the case i would build two instead, one aboreal and one terrestrial. I also wanted to run the electrical on the front, but along the side vertically. lets see if i can't draw it.

|---|---------------------------|
|-o-| |
|---| |
|-o-| |
|---| |

Okay,. now i know you have to use your imagination a bit, but the o's are the dimmers, and the |'s and -'s are solid wood so it's only two shelves high. It would be like having a little side panel for the electrical. I figure it would make it very easy to wire that way. Therefore would allow me to control everything individually for different species. Pretty much the same exact thing Cav did, but with a little side part for the dimmer switches to go in and the heat rop alonf the bottom of each shelf. I don't think i'm skilled enough (or have the tools) to do a grooved divet to put the heat tape in, so i think i'll just have to tape it down with aluminum tape and hope i don't scrape it off too much, lol.
Anyway, that's the idea, i hope i'll have pictures up soon.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #195
whytepizza
So, last question, i promise. I want to draw the heat upwards and was thinkign of putting in as small electrical fan (like the kind used in computers) to either push the heat up, or force it down, and increase airflow. Any of you technical savy people out there know a way to wire that? I have no idea how to change the 120V coming out of the outlet (or 220 depending where you live) into 12v. I'm at a loss and i think it would work really well in the rack system (especially if i want it furniture quality), anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #196
Blue Apple Herps
You don't really need a fan. The heat will rise anyways and should heat the bins just fine. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone using a fan with a rack system. You'll be fine w/o it.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #197
whytepizza
yeah, it was more of a curiocity thing. I think if heat rises and the bottom (or top) has a higher heat and you want to level it off a fan would be awesome. I'm only thinking of it because i make grandious ideas in my head. Part of my thought process (which i admit, even i can't follow) is i was going to use a solid back, no peg board. So now all that air will be trapped. I also wanted from plexi doors on the front to avoid any possible AWOL snakes from getting into my room full of rodents. Was just a thought...
I think too much.....

Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #198
dirtbiker250
i was kinda wondering to my self this so ill ask is this like a home for your snakes or just temporary because they seem too small for a snake

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google