CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

January in Florida.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Rich Z
January in Florida.

Temps weren't too bad today. Got up to around 65 degrees. Raining now though..

Anyway, Connie and I took a bit of a walk around to see if there were any trees down from the storm we had on Saturday. Just some branches, thankfully. I've been having problems with my left foot for months now with something called plantar fasciitis. Kind of feels like an ice pick stuck in my heel, but it seems to be getting better. At least I don't grit my teeth any longer just from walking. So I didn't want to walk too far or too long.

On the way back to the house we walked past her semi-tropical plants that we've been covering during cold nights and there was a baby gray rat snake sitting there sunning himself. Must have hatched out in the Fall, as he was pretty small. So I scooped him up and walked him up to the north end of the property (Connie doesn't like to think about the snakes eating "her" lizards around the house) and let him go there.

On the way back we were looking at some of our crepe myrtle trees with the beautiful cinnamon colored bark left behind when the outer layers sloughed off. Connie was removing some of the loose bark and a little gray tree frog jumped out at her. Of course I didn't have a camera with me, but heck, it's still an interesting day, herp wise, and makes a walk in the woods a lot more fun.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Myca
Sounds wonderful. I hear it will be in the 30s at the end of the week.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Nanci
I've had bad PF. Some things that helped me are: Advil, religiously. Freezing plastic pop bottles of water, then icing my foot every time I laid down. Elevating my foot whenever possible. Doing an exercise where I put a towel on the floor, then scrunched the towel with my toes. Rolling a tennis ball under my foot. And deep massage- where you can feel the sole of the foot almost crunching. And taping it for relief. You tape across the ball of the foot to act as an anchor, and then two strips in an X running from the ball to the heel.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I've had bad PF. Some things that helped me are: Advil, religiously. Freezing plastic pop bottles of water, then icing my foot every time I laid down. Elevating my foot whenever possible. Doing an exercise where I put a towel on the floor, then scrunched the towel with my toes. Rolling a tennis ball under my foot. And deep massage- where you can feel the sole of the foot almost crunching. And taping it for relief. You tape across the ball of the foot to act as an anchor, and then two strips in an X running from the ball to the heel.
Any idea what you did to actually CAUSE it? I can't figure it out myself, so for all I know I'm STILL doing whatever it is that caused the damage in the first place. Yeah, I have a brace that I wear and then do some stretching exercises too. It's definitely getting better, but I'm thinking more and more about just cutting the foot off and be done with it. I guess I'll have to cut off the other foot to make my legs even, though. I figure I could just get myself a Seqway and to heck with that "walking" crap anyway. Just think of the money I'll save on shoes and socks! But if Connie thinks she hated it before when I would track sand into the house, wait till she sees the tire marks......

Old 01-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
Nanci
I got mine from running. (On trails). Standing at work exacerbated it. It goes away eventually, if you do some of the things that relieve it.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I got mine from running. (On trails). Standing at work exacerbated it. It goes away eventually, if you do some of the things that relieve it.
Well, I DEFINITELY didn't get mine from running. I can't figure out what I might have done to cause it. So until I do, there is always the possibility I am still doing it, or will do it again.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #7
ratsncorns
I got PF bad in 2008 while I was working in Ohio. Took about 2 years to mostly heal, but every once in a while if I work it too hard, it flares up. I caused mine by hiking in the woods on uneven ground. I stepped over a fallen log wrong and that's all it took. And since I hike for work, it wasn't like I could just stay off my feet. So that made the healing process that much longer. And I now have the bone spur to prove it.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myca View Post
Sounds wonderful. I hear it will be in the 30s at the end of the week.
Yeah, overnight lows is supposed to hit the upper 20's a few times, but the highs will probably be in the lower 50's and ,maybe 60's. Hauling out the tarps to cover the more sensitive plants and then folding them back up to put them in the shed so they don't get wet from the scattered rain showers gets to be a pain in the butt sometimes. We are in the zone where you can almost grow some tropical stuff if you cover them during those scattered freezing nights. Would LOVE to grow a big grove of banana plants, but they never do well here.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
Rich Z
Sure hope that global warming kicks in before the glaciers get here......

Low overnight the next few days is supposed to be in the mid 20's. Man, I HATE cold weather!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Sure hope that global warming kicks in before the glaciers get here......

Low overnight the next few days is supposed to be in the mid 20's. Man, I HATE cold weather!
I'm pretty sure I see a glacier outside my window and it's heading your way

Rethinking Belize ????

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google