CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

5000+ registered members?

Old 06-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Rich Z
5000+ registered members?

Well, I guess I just wasn't paying attention, but sometime over the last few days we went over the 5,000 registered member mark here. Sheesh! Who would have ever figured there are that many corn snake nuts in the world?

I can remember that when I first developed an interest in snakes as a kid, I was pretty much convinced that I was the ONLY person interested in snakes at all. The reactions I got from my family, relatives and neighbors pretty much reinforced that opinion on a daily basis......

Old 06-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
princess
Well that's few, huh!

I wonder how many of them are just one time visitors who wanted to access photos they couldn't see without being signed on? I wonder how many active users there are. I think the longest time that passes without me being here is 3 days max (unless I'm away) but I'm usually here every day.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
Rich Z
Yeah, hit and run registrations. One of these days I need to just go through this site and FaunaClassifieds and just weed all of them out. It ties up registration names by people who may never be back to utilize them.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
breedingcolors
Rich,

I remember we had this discution some months ago. If you want, I could make you a list of the unused ID like those who register 1 time and never came back. You have a lot to do and if it could help you, it would be my pleasure to do it. Just let me know.

IMO we could probably remove 2000-3000 ID without problems. Like I said earlier, I don't want to remove those that are active here. Just all those hit and run registration like you said.

Keep me posted.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
carol
Not only that, I have been suprised lately on the number of guests I see viewing the forums. It seems lately there have been just as many, if not more guests on line than members... it's probably only a matter of time before they become members too.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
DAND
Lurkers today will be future members.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
Taceas
I was just thinking about that today as I looked at the birthday list. I've never heard of, seen them online, or seen any posts by them since I've been here.

Most of the people who's birthday is today, aren't active members. I think if they haven't contributed a post/reply since 2003-2004 then they don't need to be here hogging space/names/etc.

It'd be nice if the system automatically detected their non-functioning status, and deleted their account while keeping their 2-3 posts visible for viewing. I know that's your one big thing, not wanting potentially good information to be lost forever. But then again, most of those people come here when the scheisse hits the fan, pleads for help, and then you never hear from them again.

Or, have it so that they have to make at least 10+ posts (without telling them of course, don't need spam posters again) or be online for 3-4 hrs in the first week before their account becomes permanent. That way it doesn't really waste your time weeding them out by hand. A few online games that I've played will have such requirements. You have to play for 2 hrs in the first 48 or your character will be deleted, etc etc.

Or is there anyway to send periodic e-mail alerts notifying them of their delinquent status and telling them that if there isn't any activity their account will be deleted? I know a few online e-mail things do that if you drop off the face of the earth without using the service.

But I do agree, it's getting assinine and needs to be cleaned out.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
Rich Z
I'd bet that if I sent out email notices to all registered members, at least 800 of them would bounce back with invalid email addresses.

I visit quite a few other types of message boards, and it is not at all unusual to have the percentage of registered members WAY higher then the actual number of currently active members.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google