CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Introducing A New Adult Corn to My Current Adult Corn

Old 11-20-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
snake_eyes
Introducing A New Adult Corn to My Current Adult Corn

right now im not going to have more than one snake, but in the near future i see it as a good possibility i will obtain another serpent.

how are corns behavior with other snakes? ive seen other adult corns get along happily, but im not sure if its because of their gender or because they have been raised together.

also, i dont want to breed or take care of a dozen eggs, so would having a female introduced to another female be fine?

if i do get another snake, i would like to keep both in the same tank. of course, adequate space, shading, hiding, and heat would be provided for two snakes.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
BeckyG
Do a search on cohabitation, and you'll get all the answers you need.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
sbourget
To put it bluntly, Corn snakes, as well as many other reptiles are cannibals, some people are lucky and the snakes don't eat each other, but also many do eat each other.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Gintha
I went to visit the store where I'll be selling my hatchlings (in 2 years ish) and check on their viv set up.. its GREAT, only problem I saw was 2 hatchlings in the same viv, I warned them about it, and told them the things I've read on here (also told them to get Kathy Love's book to learn more on vivs and feeding hehe). Well.. 2 days later they phoned me to tell me they should have listened, they now have 1 hatchling that won't need to eat a pink this week I only hope she lives ~,~ Think the vet is oing to try to induce a regurge to save her. If I find out who the breeder is who sold them those hatchlings (he told them how to care for them) I will wring his neck! (He also sold them 2 week old, non establish hatlings.. and called them white spotted and orange striped.. its a ghost and an amel) If the female lives I'll be inheriting an amel for 4 months to try and get her healthy and established... sucks being a newbie and being the most experienced owner in my province ~,~ #1 reason I'd never co-habitate snakes... the snake-in-snake factor.

Heres what can happen (borrowed from other posts =P)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Boyer
These two were the same size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
When I am packing bulk shipments, I will normally cull out the ones from the stuff I set up for retail sales and just put all of those culls into 5 gallon buckets with a water dish. They are in there for no more than 24 hours. Well, this afternoon I was packing a shipment and looked into one of the buckets and saw what I thought was a dead and bloated corn snake. I was surprised it could have gotten so bloated so quickly. But when I took a closer look, here is what I saw:

This doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen!

Old 11-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #5
cellz
I have got 2 corns housed togeather and ive had no problems so far (TOUCH WOOD)

Old 11-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
Billybobob
Corns can be kept together without problems but it takes more work to do so. The individual personality of each snake also may make it harder to house together (one snake might get stressed). Also 2 males will fight when they reach breeding age, A male/female pair might breed early and cause health problems, so 2 females might be your best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourget
To put it bluntly, Corn snakes, as well as many other reptiles are cannibals, some people are lucky and the snakes don't eat each other, but also many do eat each other.
Corn snakes are not cannibals. Just because a few cases of cannibalism have been documented dose not mean that all corns are cannibals and that the people who house them together are "lucky that they don't eat each other". That would be like saying that all humans are cannibals just because a few are.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
BabyMowgli
it is possible, so why take the risk. All the people on this forum that have had success with snakes and know what they are talking about, say don't house them together. I think their advice is what I would listen to if I was you. ( and I did, I have two snakes each housed in their own 10 gallon viv, works just fine)

Old 11-22-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
BabyMowgli
dang, i wish i could edit my posts! I ment to say it is possible for them to eat each other, so why take that chance. sorry, didn't come out right the first time!

Old 11-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #9
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobob
Corn snakes are not cannibals. Just because a few cases of cannibalism have been documented dose not mean that all corns are cannibals and that the people who house them together are "lucky that they don't eat each other". That would be like saying that all humans are cannibals just because a few are.
I was just thinking of the corn:human cannibalism analogy the other day, but I found that it didn't quite work. The chances of a hatchling eating another hatchling are astronomically greater than the chances of a toddler eating a toddler. And adult corns lack the societal taboos against cannibalism that most human cultures have developed. In all but the most extreme circumstances, we have access to alternate food sources. Almost all human cannibalism involves ritual. A snake hatches out as a hungry bio-robot programmed to eat. If its tastes don't discriminate against reptiles, the nearest sister might do. There may be a nearby nest of field mouse pinkies, but the hatchling doesn't know this. There may be an f/t pinky only a few hours away, but the hungry captive corn doesn't know this either.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:09 PM   #10
Preita
grrrrrrr and the hounds have been unleased

Does anyone ever notice that the poster's of these threads never comes back?

Once a month we should just pick a hot topic thread and let people fight, at least that would be new ideas than this chewed up fight.

Just my .02

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google