CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How do you introduce yourself to your new snake?

Old 04-18-2002, 08:52 AM   #1
KungFu Rider
How do you introduce yourself to your new snake?

When you buy your snake through mail, and when it first arrives in a box, how do your first introduce yourself to a snake properly in order to avoid aggression? Do you think it would be wise to use a snake hook first, until it gets used to your smell. How about touching it? Would they try to bite you if you try to touch it while they're still not use to you yet?

Old 04-18-2002, 09:00 AM   #2
Rachel
I think you should buy a book on corn snakes before becoming an owner. The one (by popular demand!!) by Bill and Kathy Love is the best.
Now Im not to up on this mail delivery thing. We buy our snakes direct from a reptile shop so they are pretty used to being handled. But I would assume the same procedures apply (and Im sure if thats incorrect someone will point it out !!).
First of all let the snake become used to its new surroundings, placing a t shirt with your scent on it in its viv will help it to get used to, and recognise your scent. After a couple of days acclimatising, take the snake out for short periods (like 15 mins) so that it gets used to being handled by you. Dont keep it out too long at first otherwise it will get stressed! If you feel safer, wear gloves when you handle it but remember their mouths are tiny and the bite doesnt hurt!
If you are scared of it, it will know. Try and be confident!
Most of all have fun...they are amazing animals!
Good luck!

Old 04-18-2002, 09:27 AM   #3
Alicia
When you have them shipped to you make sure that you have a home set up and waiting for them. I set mine up at least 24 hrs in advance so I can get my temps correct. When you receive your new friend put them in their new home and do not disturb for 3 days. Make sure they have fresh water and hides. I put the water dish so I can check without opening the top. After 3 days I offer a small food item. They usually eat and then I give them 2-3 more days undisturbed xcept to change water. If everything goes well I usually start taking them out for short periods of time till the next feeding. This method works well for me but I'm sure that others have equally good methods I personally don't recommend snake hooks for corns because I feel that it scares them too much. A bite from a corn is not a big deal As the previous post recommend get "The Corn Snake Manuel" if you havn't already.

Alicia

PS: I have 17 corns & have never been bitten (yet) but my son has!!

Old 04-18-2002, 09:43 AM   #4
Elaphe_Mo
I think a snake hook would be hard to use, especially on a little hatchling corn. When I first got my snakes, years ago, I would wear gloves at first to pick them up. Even though I knew they couldn't really hurt me, I always got jittery picking them up with my bare hands at first. Because I knew they couldn't bite through the glove, I was more confident handling them, and they got used to me a lot quicker. Believe me they will know if you are afraid of them and it doesn't help calm them down, so if you think it will help, try gloves it worked for me

Old 04-18-2002, 09:46 AM   #5
kellum
Smile good for you!

I am in the process of getting my first corn. And have all the same questions. I have been monitoring the board here and @ kingsnake.com. Everyone has good advice. Get "The Corn Snake Manual", I bought it the other day and have read it several times already. It will really help you get everything ready for your new pet and aleviate any worry you have about handling problems that may arise.

Everyone considering a new pet should research as much as possible before buying one.

Good Luck!
Keith

Old 04-18-2002, 01:06 PM   #6
KungFu Rider
Well, when I said mail-order, I simply meant SHIPPING to my doorstep. That's how I plan to buy my snake since there are no snake dealers around where I live.

About the book, where do I get it? It's not in my local book store. And how much is it, do you know?

Old 04-18-2002, 03:27 PM   #7
Alicia
The Corn Snake Manual

http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Ut...ing%20Info.htm

or Amazon.com

I purchased mine at a local PetSmart.

Alicia

Old 04-18-2002, 03:38 PM   #8
kellum
Yeah- I got mine at PetSmart too!

Old 04-19-2002, 06:39 AM   #9
Serpwidgets
When you get your new corn, you can put it in its new home (for example if it comes in a deli cup) by just putting the deli cup inside its home and leaving the lid open (on the deli cup, not the cage) so it can crawl out when it feels secure.

Also, I've used the t-shirt trick and IMO it really does help get them used to your scent. To prepare the tshirt, I would just wear one for a day. Just make sure you don't get any heavy deodorant or cologne smells on it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google