• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bioactive substrate (BAS) Natural viv - a why and “how-to” guide.

Can I ask what "cleaning crew" organisms did you add, & did you collect them from the wild or order them from a supplier? With my gecko tanks I added some isopods & a few millepedes from our yard. I never see them but the tanks never smell bad so I'm guessing they are still there doing their job! :)

Karen, I can't speak for what Robbie uses... But I have springtails in a few of mine (they volunteered, aka magically appeared, and I love them!), and have begun adding a few sp of isopod into skink enclosures. I plan to start adding them to a tortoise and a snake viv once I have enough!

I've not set up a bioactive tank (40 gallon) for Isis using the recipe from this thread. I introduced her to it last night and she immediately burrowed into the substrate and I've not seen her since. I'm slightly concerned because although the humidity is around 50%, the substrate seems very loose - there are no visible "burrows". Is this a risk to her? Do I need to compact the substrate more or increase the humidity?

I personally would not use any wild collected bugs, because you do not know what king of pesticides or whatnot they might have come in contact with, that could harm your reptile.

I have gotten some isopods from a friend, who cultivates her own, that she got from a reliable breeder.
I will be ordering some from NE Herp in the near future.

Some shows/expos have people there who sell bugs, as well.

Raising an old topic....but I am new to corns, I do have my geckos and monitor in bio active setups. My concern with corns on this is live plants need UV, and I just went through a thread I started about lights and was lead to believe UV is a REALLY bad idea for corns. Any thoughts? Maybe so low light plants that will be ok with just minimal room sunlight

Back