CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Bioactive substrate (BAS) Natural viv - a why and “how-to” guide.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:12 AM   #51
The Knight
Thumbs up

Wax, nice pics man! Thank you.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #52
SnBMeg
I got into aquascaping (fish tank "landscaping") last year, and I've got to say that this thread has been a fascinating read. Definitely something I'd like to do (after I've re-scaped my 20G hexagonal trop tank, which keeps getting put off >_>).

A few additional design suggestions that are key in aquascapes, which I think could be applied here:

- Don't make the substrate in a level line from front to back: have a gradual slope of all of the substrate from front to back (front slightly lower, back slightly higher, and the hills and valleys on top/carved into). This allows you to see more of the interesting terrain features and creates a sense of depth when looking at the viv from straight on. (Sloping the sides up can also be used to great effect.) Here's a super-quickie visualization of what I mean:

- also, overlapping objects creates depth. Putting a branch in front of or behind a hill, for example, gives the impression that the tank is deeper (front to back or side to side) than it actually is.

- not sure if this was mentioned: the golden rectangle/ratio. 1:1.618. Imagine a line splitting the viv from top to bottom based on that ratio, and put a focal point (something interesting to draw the eye--a plant, a branch, a rock, something) on it. It's one of those wonderful artsy things that makes the human eye happy.

- HAVE ONE MAIN FOCAL POINT! Multiple focal points/points of interest are great, and move the viewer's eye around the viv (a very good thing!), but make sure that there's a single one--on the golden ratio line--that stands out a bit and gives the eye a place to "rest."

- on a similar note, Tracy mentioned 3's being very good, and they certainly are. Try to have 3 focal points in the viv (with one being dominant over the other 2, of course).

Here are some aquascape layouts I did not too long ago (no photos yet, lol). The first set of images were for a "barely brackish" balloon molly setup (so plants were chosen accordingly, though there were a couple that I was testing). The gray dotted line marks the golden ratio. In this case, I used negative space to create the main focal point; the other focuses are created by groups of blyxa.

The above image is the "hardscape"--everything but the plants. Here, I put the lowest back level about 4.5" higher than the front, and hills/mounds toward the back corners, creating a clear valley in the front/center of the tank.

And this was for a mostly bare-bottom goldfish setup, with the plants being in rectangular glass vases along the back wall. Here, there's a big anubias as the main focal point, with a smaller anubias to the right and a stand of vallisneria to the back left as other focuses. No hardscape here, since I was just packing the vases with plants.

I highly recommend checking out some aquascaping resources if you're interested in BASing your viv. The Planted Tank Forums have a spectacular "Photo Album" section with detailed photographic journals of people's setups, and there are some real pros there. You also might check out the work of Amano Takashi (as in Amano Shrimp and ADA (Aqua Design Amano) Supplies).

I also came across this site a while back. It's mostly geared towards frog vivs, but I've found it to be a fantastic source of inspiration.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #53
MegF.
Those are great ideas! I can't wait to build mine!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #54
Venus's Keeper
Enjoyed this thoroughly. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Old 03-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #55
buckmaster299
Tracy, how is your snake doing with this setup? Any new updates?

Old 03-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #56
RobbiesCornField
Just a heads up, this thread is 6 years old, and Tracy hasn't logged onto this site in 5 years.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #57
buckmaster299
o i didn't know that. anyone have any success stories with this? it seems very nice setup and i think i'm going to attempt it.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #58
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster299 View Post
o i didn't know that. anyone have any success stories with this? it seems very nice setup and i think i'm going to attempt it.
I've been using a BAS for quite a while now in a couple of vivs. It's really quite awesome! I haven't actually done a full substrate change in over 6 months. I've just spot-cleaned and "raked" the substrate around the plants to aerate it.

If you really want a great how-to guide, check out The Art of Keeping Snakes. It's a fantastic book that I would highly recommend to anyone looking into planted vivariums.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #59
buckmaster299
I got the book on my phone so I will have to start reading it. Thank you for the info. I am wanting to start this soon but don't want to rush into it and mess anything up...

Old 03-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #60
KarenL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
I've been using a BAS for quite a while now in a couple of vivs. It's really quite awesome! I haven't actually done a full substrate change in over 6 months. I've just spot-cleaned and "raked" the substrate around the plants to aerate it.

If you really want a great how-to guide, check out The Art of Keeping Snakes. It's a fantastic book that I would highly recommend to anyone looking into planted vivariums.
Can I ask what "cleaning crew" organisms did you add, & did you collect them from the wild or order them from a supplier? With my gecko tanks I added some isopods & a few millepedes from our yard. I never see them but the tanks never smell bad so I'm guessing they are still there doing their job!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google