CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Corns living together?? Yes or no?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
lenalenalena
Corns living together?? Yes or no?

I have two corns, as many of you know and they are both babies, living seperatly.

I really want to put them together because I want them to be able to live together and have a buddy to curl up with.

Alot of people I know have two cornsnakes living together with no problem but I figure you guys all know alot more about corn snakes and can help me with this...

I plan on breeding them when they reach adulthood so I'll definatly be putting them together for that.

Please give me your opinion :]

Old 09-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
Blue Apple Herps
Don't do it. You're doing great by having them separate. Search for cohabitation and you'll see tons of info. I used to house together before I really knew any better, as soon as I did I separated all of my snakes and have been doing that since.

There is no advantage or benefit for the snakes in housing them together.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
Emanon
no.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
susang
Nope, they don't enjoy company, most likely don't even like us holding them, they live alone in nature and don't look for cuddle buddies.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang
Nope, they don't enjoy company, most likely don't even like us holding them, they live alone in nature and don't look for cuddle buddies.
Susang, i wanna make a point I think is interesting. I hear people talk so much about how cornsnakes are solitary by nature and in the wild they don't live together like they do in the same cage, but if we're going to have the arguement they are solitary in nature then why feed them dead food? Also at this point in the evolution of cornsnakes aren't they one of the most common place pets (meaning for generations they have been peoples pets and at some point the dangerous while still there aren't as strong as they once were?

I say this because with the PROPER care I would imagine two corn snakes living together would be ok (this may or may not hold true for 2 males or 2 females living together because of the aggression i've read about during mating session)

Common reasons for not cohabing corn snakes

1. disease (Keep them disease free and you won't have to worry)
2. throw-up (Yea you won't know which one threw-up but wouldn't the real concern be WHY they threw-up?
3. Eatting one or the other (doesn't proper feeding take care of this)
4. corns are solitary by nature (at this point aren't we taking them out of their natural setting) plus how many generations have corn snakes been pets?
Look at some of the Vivs people put their corn snakes in (from babies to adults) talk about not being in nature

for the TS, here is a link to my thread about the same topic

http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthr...5&page=2&pp=10

I will say people here take corn snakes very serious and i'm not sure if you are at that level (if that makes any sense)

Old 09-24-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaisseM
Susang, i wanna make a point I think is interesting. I hear people talk so much about how cornsnakes are solitary by nature and in the wild they don't live together like they do in the same cage, but if we're going to have the arguement they are solitary in nature then why feed them dead food? Also at this point in the evolution of cornsnakes aren't they one of the most common place pets (meaning for generations they have been peoples pets and at some point the dangerous while still there aren't as strong as they once were?
Not mimicking natural prey items to absolute perfection is not even in the same ballpark as potentially putting their health and/or survival at risk, which is what cohabitation can do.

Quote:
I say this because with the PROPER care I would imagine two corn snakes living together would be ok
On what basis? Even with the proper care and regular handling some corns never grow out of their aggressiveness. And as far as I have heard, nobody in the hobby is selectively breeding for cohabitation tolerant cornsnakes. There are even plenty of examples outside the cornsnake world where "tame", supposedly well-adjusted, animals just snap and attack their owners. The point being that there's no reason that two corns that seem to get along can't end up the same way with each other.

Quote:
2. throw-up (Yea you won't know which one threw-up but wouldn't the real concern be WHY they threw-up?
How do you know that stress from cohabitation wasn't the cause of the regurge in the first place? Not being able to tell which one regurged, is not what most people have in mind when they say that regurges are a reason to not cohab...it's that the added stress of cohabitation could be the cause of regurges.

Quote:
3. Eatting one or the other (doesn't proper feeding take care of this)
No. This would be assuming that one animal can only eat another purely out of hunger. Corns are opportunistic feeders by nature meaning they don't just wait until they get hungry to feed. I think being caged 24/7 with another animal counts as opportunity.

Quote:
4. corns are solitary by nature (at this point aren't we taking them out of their natural setting) plus how many generations have corn snakes been pets?
Again, breeding corns as pets is not the same as breeding for cohabitation tolerant pets. The arguement that corns have been bred for pets would be, at best, marginally relevant if and only if the most docile cornsnakes were allowed to breed. I think most people would argue that the foremost criteria for selecting which corns are bred is coloration, pattern, etc. with temperment being one of the last criteria.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #7
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenalenalena
I have two corns, as many of you know and they are both babies, living seperatly.

I really want to put them together because I want them to be able to live together and have a buddy to curl up with.

Alot of people I know have two cornsnakes living together with no problem but I figure you guys all know alot more about corn snakes and can help me with this...

I plan on breeding them when they reach adulthood so I'll definatly be putting them together for that.

Please give me your opinion :]
How many different forums are you going to ask the same question over and over....all while getting the same response?

It's a horrible idea, period. You've already been told this elsewhere, and you're going to get told it here as well.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaisseM
(this may or may not hold true for 2 males or 2 females living together because of the aggression i've read about during mating session)
Zach covered just about everything but I would like to comment on this particular thought.

If someone insisted on housing 2 snakes together, I would much prefer to see them house snakes of the same sex over a pair of the opposite sex. The OP would eventually like to breed which clearly indicates they are a male and a female. Housing them together now will definitely make sure they will breed, and probably much too soon to be healthy and safe for the female. I really don't want to see yet another thread on "OH MY! My 1 1/2 year old, 150 gram female is gravid! What do I do?"

And about same sex aggression during mating season...I've rarely seen it happen even when I put 2 males in the breeding tub with a ready and willing female.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
lenalenalena
i know i've been told it before but i want as many peoples opinion as I can get.

What when I want to mate them? Will there be a problem putting them together then?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
Corny Noob
Aren't you also on RR.com?
I believe so...hasn't this dead horse been beatten up enough already?

And when you do mate they don't end up living together, you maybe only leave them for a few hours to a day at a time each time you try to hook them up....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google