CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Corns living together?? Yes or no?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #51
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaisseM
Like a previous poster said

Originally Posted by Nanci
"There's never a problem with cohabitation till there's a problem with cohabitation."...Janine

meaning there WILL be a problem with cohabitation instead of there is a chance you could have a problem
You can't just assign your own meaning to that quote. Its meaning is pretty straightforward. Substitute "cohabitation" in that quote with another risky behavior, and you'll see what I mean. For example: "There's never a problem with driving under the influence of alcohol until a problem arises." I have a friend who has been driving while plastered-drunk for twenty years now. He's never been caught, and he's never hurt himself or anyone else. Maybe he'll get away with it forever without negative consequences. Then again, maybe he'll wipe out an entire family tomorrow, and end up a quadriplegic himself...

Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #52
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
You can't just assign your own meaning to that quote. Its meaning is pretty straightforward. Substitute "cohabitation" in that quote with another risky behavior, and you'll see what I mean. For example: "There's never a problem with driving under the influence of alcohol until a problem arises." I have a friend who has been driving while plastered-drunk for twenty years now. He's never been caught, and he's never hurt himself or anyone else. Maybe he'll get away with it forever without negative consequences. Then again, maybe he'll wipe out an entire family tomorrow, and end up a quadriplegic himself...
I see your point, but an extreme like DUI and cohabitating don't work as much as much as there is no problem riding a motorcycle till you have a problem riding a motorcycle..... Doesn't it leave you with the feeling you're GOING to have a problem sooner or later, more likely sooner?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #53
Roy Munson
Quote:
Here one where you are saying they occur because of cohabitation (yes I saw past you sarcasm to realize you were saying it Does, but truth be told it happens even when you don't cohabatate)
Cannibalism is very rare in snakes that are kept separately. This may seem like a silly statement, but in fact, there ARE documented cases of autophagy in corns, i.e., corns eating themselves! If a corn snake's feeding response is so strong that it can kill itself in an attempt to eat itself, I'm certainly not trusting it with other snakes.

If you have two low-end pet corns, and you decide to house them together, what can I tell you? All I have to say is that only a real fool keeps two $1,000 corns together.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #54
zwyatt
Quote:
wait I just realized my post wasn't even directed at you..... but i'll review your post and get back to you on that
It may not have been directed towards me, but it might as well have been. I believe it was directed towards others who were making statements about the dangers of cohabitation and not claiming anything about absolute certainties.
I think that you are reading too much into our warnings. It's not that anyone is claiming that cohabitation will, without a doubt, end in catastrophe. It's that cohabitation has been known to end badly (poor health, death, etc) so why even subject our snakes to that increased risk. That's our point.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #55
susang
Title of thread: "Corns living together yes or no?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenalenalena
I have two corns, as many of you know and they are both babies, living seperatly.

I really want to put them together because I want them to be able to live together and have a buddy to curl up with.

Alot of people I know have two cornsnakes living together with no problem but I figure you guys all know alot more about corn snakes and can help me with this...

I plan on breeding them when they reach adulthood so I'll definatly be putting them together for that.

Please give me your opinion :]
Well Messiah, you must be a computer psychoanalist, telling us how we should speak. The original question required a "yes or no" answer. She further went on and ask for opinion, Wikipedia defines opinion as:An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something. It is an assessment, judgment or evaluation of something. An opinion is not a fact, because opinions are either not falsifiable, or the opinion has not been proven or verified. If it later becomes proven or verified, it is no longer an opinion, but a fact.

I do believe that is exactly what we did give our statement "yes or no" and then gave our opinions about that answer. So maybe you should lead us all in the direction you want us to go, please teach us how to speak on this forum as I hang on every word.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #56
attackturtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornNoobie
By no means am I being funny, but if someone wants to ask the same question on different forums what does it matter?? Different people use different forums and by asking questions on more than one they are increasing their area of research. Personally I have never heard of RR.com, so I obviously wouldnt respond to a question on it, but here I may. I dont think its fair that some people on here are happy to post their opinion on multiple sites, but then slate people for asking the same questions on them?

All credit to Lena for using more than 1 site to broaden her response. I think its a good thing and well done. Shame alot of other people dont spend as much time doing research on their pets.
I agree this could be the case but I think we need to keep in mind that the individual could be what I term "opinion shopping". Going forum to forum until they get enough opinions that THEY agree with so that they can in their own mind justify what they are about to do. Cohabitation is strongly opposed by most Corn owners.

Nobody but the person who started this thread will really know if this is the case but I think when people find out that a person could be opinion shopping, they tend to get very angry because if they respond to somebody who really doesn't care, one could see that as a complete waste of their time.

Sure somebody could stumble upon your AWESOME opinion on the subject that took you 30 minutes to create later but seriously, we all encounter just how often the Search feature on forums get used.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #57
jazzgeek
Quote:
....as there is no problem riding a motorcycle till you have a problem riding a motorcycle..... Doesn't it leave you with the feeling you're GOING to have a problem sooner or later, more likely sooner?
Nope. For me, it means that there are inherent risks to cohabbing snakes/riding a motorcycle/driving drunk.

The legalities of driving drunk aside, it's up to the individual to make a decision based on those risks. If you get a cannibalization/do a face plant/kill yourself and/or others, well, that's the game you entered into. Don't look for sympathy or come running to a forum with "OMG OMG MY SANKE LAYD EGGZ WUT DO I DO?", and expect everyone to come running to your aid.

Weigh the risks, and come to your own informed decision. Just try not to evangelize those who have made the same considerations and have come to a different informed decision than you.

regards,
jazz

Old 09-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #58
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson

If you have two low-end pet corns, and you decide to house them together, what can I tell you? All I have to say is that only a real fool keeps two $1,000 corns together.
Honestly I think thats the difference maker as much as its messed up....

Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #59
Roy Munson
Quote:
I see your point, but an extreme like DUI and cohabitating don't work as much as much as there is no problem riding a motorcycle till you have a problem riding a motorcycle..... Doesn't it leave you with the feeling you're GOING to have a problem sooner or later, more likely sooner?
To me the DUI example is better than the motorcycle example. With cohabbing and DUI, you are accepting risks FOR other organisms, without their say in the matter. Motorcycle riding presents the most risks to the rider/decision-maker. Not that a rider or even a sober motorist can't cause harm to others if they make additional risky choices...

Old 09-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #60
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang
Well Messiah....
EE'S NOT THE MESSIAH!!

'Ee's a very naughty boy!

regards,
jazz

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google