CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

"What's My Morph" madness!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
bitsy
"What's My Morph" madness!

Is anyone else being driven nuts by the recent outbreak of "What's my morph?" questions?

Well I think I've hit on a formula for answers, that could be cut & pasted:

_____

Q1: "I bought this for $10 at PetSmart. Is it a <Miami/ Okeetee/ Hypo/ insert any exotic morph name or seletively-bred variation that has brown in it>?"

A: "No, it's a Normal."
_____

Q2: "I bought this for $10 at PetSmart. Is it a <Reverse Okeetee/ Butter/ Ultramel/ insert any exotic morph name or seletively-bred variation that doesn't have much brown in it>?"

A: "No, it's an Amel."
_____

Q3: "I bought this for $8 at PetSmart. It was labelled a Creamsicle in the store, but it doesn't look like it to me and the guy on the checkout at Wal-Mart says it's a Hypo Lav Blood Motley. What do you guys think?"

A: "It's a Creamsicle."
_____

To any of those answers, you can usually append "...and a pretty ordinary/ugly-looking one at that" (although if in a good mood, this can be reworded as "...but it's really cute!")

Old 05-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
LBoz
*note to self* Refer all morph questions to Bitsy via PM for identification.

Seriously though, as a snake newbie, there are sooo many freakin' gorgeous morphs out there, and it's really difficult for us not to be overwhelmed, not to mention drowning in our own drool over them all. It would be exciting to think for a mere $10 we might have picked up a treasure!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
bitsy
Quote:
*note to self* Refer all morph questions to Bitsy via PM for identification.
LOL! Count me out my friend, I'm useless at morphs (although I've seen enough Normals & Amels to spot one a mile off).

There may be $10 rarities out there, but I've seen maybe two or three in all the years I've been trawling round reptile message boards.

Even with the right info, some folks are so keen to see hidden treasure that they just delude themselves. A recent example was one poor lass who was busting with excitement that she'd found "a Candy Cane with loads of yellow in it". I'd have laughed out loud if I hadn't felt sorry that she was about to shell out for a common-or-garden Amel.

What gets me is the inevitable brave attempt to not be visibly disappointed, after the bubble's been burst.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
LBoz
^Aww, that is kind of sad, isn't it?

Now that you brought it up, you're right, they're everywhere! I would typically never buy a snake from a petstore, but I happened upon a 2 yo that was brought in from an owner who was moving. He's just a plain old amel, but I think he's gorgeous, of course! I consider myself lucky that I was already told what he was prior to joining here. Especially now that I know Bitsy would be secretly laughing at me for posting "Hey Everyone!! Check out my caramel Het Amel/snow ghost butter! Isn't he beautiful!!"

Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
bitsy
Quote:
Especially now that I know Bitsy would be secretly laughing at me
Don't think it's just me....!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Roy Munson
Those questions don't drive me nuts, but they make me laugh a little. Not in a mean-spirited way (ok, maybe a little), but I always think it's funny that everyone's snake has to be something special.

Off-topic, but related: I was on another cornsnake discussion board, and someone posted something like this:

I bought a corn, and from the morph pictures i've seen, I think he's a Normal het Lavender, Hypo, Diffusion, and 50% poss. het Anery. But i could be wrong.

It cracked me up seeing all those hets ID'd from photo comparisons, but the possible het was the kicker. Hilarious.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
Duff
Not at all. Everyone has to start to get anywhere. Including you, I'm sure. I doubt you were born knowing it all. If you don't like newbie questions and posts, pass them up and don't open them. What's wrong with someone looking for help or knowledge? Why do you feel the need to put someone down for being a newbie (which is basically what this rant is doing). I always love the "tired of newbies" stuff. Uh... you were a newbie once too. You're not suddenly better now that you know more.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Corny Noob
Yeah Dean, that one literally made me laugh out loud.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
LBoz
We newbies need to feel like we're cool like the "big dawgs!"

I'm going to have to go see what Het means. (laughs at my own newbiness!)

Old 05-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
bitsy
Apologies for causing offence folks. I've obviously been hanging round here toooooo long.

Dean - feel free to delete this.

I shall go and report myself at once.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google