CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #11
bitsy
I'd be inclined to look at the temperature as well, as you're not providing any additional heating. If there isn't a warm spot into the 80s, then it's possible that its digestive system isn't working properly - that would explain why it's eating but not growing. Having undigested food in the gut woud certainly be enough to kill it.

Also, if the temp in the tank is over 80 degrees all the time, then the snake could simply be too hot (although mine tend to sit in their water if that happens). Again, being too hot for too long can kill and may be affecting digestion/growth. However, I'd have thought that temps are lower at night where you are - do you notice any change in that activity pattern after dark?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
COerriccaRN
The temps are about 74-77 during the day. About the same at night.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
COerriccaRN
After Dark Sunny crawls around a little, but I don't know how much. His position is changed when I wake up in the morning. I just checked temps and its about 78 right now. Its HOT in texas, the night temps don't change much...

Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
bitsy
78 as an occasional top temp isn't ideal. You really need to have a warm spot in the 80s for digestion (I aim for mid-high 80s). I think that's your most likely issue with this fella. Would you be able to buy a UTH & thermostat?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
COerriccaRN
Quote:
Would you be able to buy a UTH & thermostat?
More than likely not in the near future...It will probably be a while before I can save up enough money for that, for all of my snakes. Those things are EXPENSIVE!

Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
whippet
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
More than likely not in the near future...It will probably be a while before I can save up enough money for that, for all of my snakes. Those things are EXPENSIVE!
If you can't afford the equiptment needed for the animal you should not own the animal.
Please rehome these snakes ASAP if you can't afford the proper set-ups.
Get all the stuff you need first THEN the snake.

I mean really...would you buy a fish before getting water for the tank?
Would you buy a bird without a cage? Would you buy a horse for an apartment?

It is beyond irresposible to buy a pet and not everything it needs to survive. Why not just kill it now?

And yes I know I am being harsh. But this is animal neglect and pussy-footing around that fact is not going to help anyone.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet View Post
If you can't afford the equiptment needed for the animal you should not own the animal.

It is beyond irresposible to buy a pet and not everything it needs to survive. Why not just kill it now?

And yes I know I am being harsh. But this is animal neglect and pussy-footing around that fact is not going to help anyone.
I wish you would just come out and say what you mean and not beat about the bush.....
Fact is they have the snakes and are unlikely to follow any of that advice.
It is possible to use a home made rheostat instead of a Thermostat....
Or with trial and error you can use just the UTH and pack the viv up, to create the right temp, though this isn't something I would recommend.
Either way you do need more heat for the snakes to be able to digest properly...

Old 09-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
Daenerys
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet View Post

Her other two snakes are fine, though.

I had my snake for two weeks without a heat source because I was told that he didn't need it. He has one now, but for those two weeks he was perfectly fine. Digested just fine, was active, went into shed, etc.

Anyways I would try to get some sort of heat for this guy, even if you just use a lamp on half of the cage. Just make sure it doesn't get too hot. If that doesn't help....then try someone else's advice.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
airenlow
I think the cliche cohab line applies here too..."there is never a problem, until there's a problem". So what if your snake was fine for 2 weeks without heat, it doesn't mean the conditions were perfect. A human can live 4-6 weeks without food, but would you want to? I know that's a totally different subject, but in my head it makes sense.

And I'm not picking on you Daenerys...you just had the handiest example.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
Daenerys
Yeah but I have also heard from several sources that corns don't need a heat source so long as the temperature in the room isn't too high or low for them. I know they tend to do BETTER with a heat source but they don't need one, just like it isn't NECESSARY that humans eat a perfectly balanced diet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google