CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Old 09-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #21
Daenerys
Or at least that's what I am assuming. I'm only a novice snake owner so I listened to the experts and got a heating lamp :P

Old 09-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #22
onelifetolive45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daenerys View Post
Or at least that's what I am assuming. I'm only a novice snake owner so I listened to the experts and got a heating lamp :P
An expert more than likely would have suggested a UTH not a heat lamp...

Old 09-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #23
Daenerys
They did but I had the choice between a free heat lamp or a $30 UTH so I went with the free heat lamp...

Old 09-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
whippet
Quote:
Yeah but I have also heard from several sources that corns don't need a heat source so long as the temperature in the room isn't too high or low for them. I know they tend to do BETTER with a heat source but they don't need one, just like it isn't NECESSARY that humans eat a perfectly balanced diet.
BUT why would anyone keep a pet in less than ideal conditions? That is horrible. How is that any different from keeping a kitten in a 10 gallon aquairum? Sure it CAN survive...but life for it would suck.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #25
whippet
Quote:
They did but I had the choice between a free heat lamp or a $30 UTH so I went with the free heat lamp...
*sorry for the double post*

OMG seriously? Dude...again I say if you can't afford what is best for the animal WHY are you getting this pet! If you are that poor or that cheap please hold off on the animal. But since you have had time at this point please tell me you went ahead and got the UTH and at least a dimmer switch for it by now?

Old 09-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #26
Daenerys
Well I kept mine without a heat source for two weeks because I read and was told that they could do fine without them. Both the pet store and several online sources said that corn snakes were very hardy and could deal without them. And since I didn't have a heat source or a thermometer or a car to go out and get those things (and I'm rather poor) I didn't go out and get one.

But once I learned what the heat was for (digestion and to help humidity during shedding) I got him his lamp.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #27
Darcpixie
Don't get a heating lamp, at least not if you can help it.

Corn snakes do not need UV light or a day/night cycle. A under tank heater, maintained with a thermostat or rheostat in the mid-80's for the hot end would be ideal.

Many people heat the whole room, but they use a higher temperature than indicated (mid to low 80's).

If we could keep the aggressive dismissals of someone owning the corn snake OUT of the discussion, don't you think that MAYBE we would get a better response FOR THE SNAKE?!?

I HATE it when our members make sweeping dismissals of people asking for help. How, exactly, does this help anyone? Advise, suggest, be kind, be polite, and DON'T tell them to just rehome the pet because they don't have it set up in the IDEAL fashion.

People in this hobby DO advise that corn snakes don't necessarily need supplemental heat if the room they are in is in the high-70's.

She should rehome her pets because of that?

The same theory applies here.... If you can't deal with this kind of thread without getting aggressive, DON'T read them and DON'T post in them.

Sheesh.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #28
diamondlil
Quote:
Well I kept mine without a heat source for two weeks because I read and was told that they could do fine without them. Both the pet store and several online sources said that corn snakes were very hardy and could deal without them. And since I didn't have a heat source or a thermometer or a car to go out and get those things (and I'm rather poor) I didn't go out and get one.

But once I learned what the heat was for (digestion and to help humidity during shedding) I got him his lamp.
Hold on, hadn't you checked at all with your college herp club what the correct temperatures and set up for the snake would be?

Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
Daenerys
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet View Post
*sorry for the double post*

OMG seriously? Dude...again I say if you can't afford what is best for the animal WHY are you getting this pet! If you are that poor or that cheap please hold off on the animal. But since you have had time at this point please tell me you went ahead and got the UTH and at least a dimmer switch for it by now?
He's a happy healthy snake. I'm not worried about him dying. And the light is on a timer, its not on 24/7 and baking him. Next week I am going home from college for fall break and I will have my car, so I plan on driving to several pet stores to find a good UTH, yes. And actually just on Saturday I went back to the pet store to see what they had. There weren't any small enough for his box and they also didn't have any thermometers or rheostats. Its not like I am not trying. I am using the lamp until I can get him a UTH.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #30
Daenerys
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
Hold on, hadn't you checked at all with your college herp club what the correct temperatures and set up for the snake would be?
Being a freshman, and only having been to the club once before getting my snake, I hadn't really made any contacts with people yet. But once I got him and brought him to the meeting, yes I did start asking for advice and made one friend who is the one who offered me use of her heat lamp until I could find a UTH.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google