CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #61
danielle
If you can't afford a UTH and rheostat I assume you don't have atemp gun either-just an assumption. Without a temp gun you can't know the exact temps of your snakes cage period or the temps of a heated blanket which by the way is ment for humans with body temps of 98.6 degrees so whats not that hot to us will burn them. A small UTH is usually 10-15 bucks and a rheostat maybe 15-20. Why not ditch your non paying writing job and get a real job like most people that have monetary needs? How do you pay for your snake to eat, get new aspen, or what if it needed a vet? I know you think people are being harsh and while I and others could use more tact so could you before buying an animal you knew nothing about and giving it a less than ideal home- it works both ways you know.

When people blame ignorance and lack of money on the reason their animals are not cared for its just a tactless as someone telling you to get those poor snakes a better home

Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #62
Daenerys
Well I don't know how old you are but babysitting is something I did and you can make a lot of money just by doing that. Also you could mow lawns. Those are some odd jobs you could do that don't require trying to apply for jobs in today's horrible economy.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #63
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
Its electric...I can't even find it. I think my snakes will be fine without heat until winter. I will have a new blanket or something by then I am sure.
So how are you measuring their temperatures so you know they are ok without heat?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #64
danielle
Your lack of time excuse is killing me. I have two children, a job, and go to grad school full time as well a attend an internship 20+ hours a week. You have time you just need to start acting like a grownup and figure something out. Waiting tables is great part time money by the way

Old 09-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #65
diamondlil
Quote:
Ha, how can I save up money if I don't have a job? Believe me, if I had time to have a job I would. I want one, but could only work about an hour one just a few days. I was thinking about selling one of my snakes so I can buy things for my other snakes, but I haven't decided yet.
If you can't afford to look after them properly, then how can you keep them at all? Quite frankly I'm disgusted that you can put your own selfish wants above the physical needs of an animal just because you want it as a pet.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #66
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
Your lack of time excuse is killing me. I have two children, a job, and go to grad school full time as well a attend an internship 20+ hours a week. You have time you just need to start acting like a grownup and figure something out. Waiting tables is great part time money by the way
She has plenty of time to shoot turtles for target practice, and go deer hunting though......

Old 09-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #67
ghosthousecorns
I know all about being broke, I went for one year and six months with no work and I had no money to do anything, but if one of my snakes needed something believe me I found a way to get it even if it meant I had to sell something of mine. I managed and so can you. If you care enough about your pet that is. It's only a UTH, if you don't even have the money to get that how will you pay for a vet if it gets sick?
I don't care if I seem harsh. I'm not here to coddle anybody or say aww it's okay that you don't take good enough care of your snake because poor little you is so broke and inexperienced. Go without something else and do the right thing for your pet. I bet if you looked around there is something that you either spend money on and could skip for a while, or could get money for.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #68
whippet
Quote:
The one for sore muscles already has a switch for low/medium/high... the only problem is that it shuts off after 5 hours. That it better than nothing though.
No it's not. It is worse because they get too hot and are too unreliable for an even temperature. Do not use a heated blanket made for a human.

Quote:
Ha, how can I save up money if I don't have a job? Believe me, if I had time to have a job I would. I want one, but could only work about an hour one just a few days. I was thinking about selling one of my snakes so I can buy things for my other snakes, but I haven't decided yet.
Get a job. Seriously. Do you actually expect us to believe that you work on school 24/7? Be responsible for your own pets, don't make your parents foot the bill. I have no idea how old you are. But if you are over 16 you need to be working. Sat nights you aren't doing class stuff I guarentee it.
If you have to sell something then do it. Sell some video games, a gun that you hunt turtles with, anything to provide the care that is your responsiblity. If you can't hold up to your end of the bargan in agreeing to care for these animals you NEED to give them up.
Offer to work for your parents if nothing else. Washing the car, mowing the grass...you can do any of those things and more.

Quote:
I have also heard that you don't NEED to provide heat.

Also... just because I made some mistakes doesn't mean I should just give up and re-home my pets. I didn't know anything about snakes when I got them, and I am learning. If everyone gave away their snakes if they made a few mistakes, no one would have snakes. No one!
Now you know that you heard incorrect information. Stop dwelling on your ignorence of the past and make the changes you need not excuses.

Yes it does mean you should give them up if you can't correct those mistakes. Everyone does make mistakes. Lord knows I have. But I corrected them. If you don't correct a mistake with a child, Social Services takes that kid away.

Quote:
I tried the dimmer thing and I cannot, for the life of me, make one of those. I had the detailed instructions and everything but I am TERRIBLE at all that. I have no clue what half the parts are or what they do ect...I'm hopeless when it comes to making one.
This just goes to prove you have never even tried. They are not a "kit" you put togeather. It's a little switch that comes all made and you just plug it in between your plug and the wall.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #70
danielle
I can't rep Beth could someone do the honors?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google