CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Old 09-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #71
pwargcm
i laugh at you in seriousness. its either your parents have sheltered you way to much, or your a chronic liar.

when i was in high school on most nights i got an average of 3-5 hours of sleep. i worked 1 job of cook/disher/busser/waiter at a diner under the table since i was 13. i made over 150 just on a weekend. that was friday night, saturday mornings, and sunday mornings. only worked 20 hours im guess on weekends there. then when i was 17, i worked full time under the table until i turned 18 and i still worked the diner, and also pushed carts at the bjs wholesale club. i had a really nice car, i bought, a sulcatta was my only animal. and i was still in top 20 at school. on top of all that i still went out partying and getting drunk/smoking a bit of weed like a lot of highschoolers. not very good thing to say, but yeah, i was young and dumb. i still had my free time, hunted, fished, hiked, camped. still got my work done, still went to work at all jobs, and still graduated top 20, number 20 actually, lol. and if you say you have no time i feel bad for you. your young, you do not need much sleep at all. you act as though your 70 years old and so tired out that you have no time other than doing your school work, sleeping, and yourself. get off your butt and get a job and rough it. its fun, trust me. youll learn a lot about yourself.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #72
COerriccaRN
Quote:
Sat nights you aren't doing class stuff I guarentee it.
I am sitting in my dual-credit Algebra two class tutoring session...

Quote:
es it does mean you should give them up if you can't correct those mistakes. Everyone does make mistakes. Lord knows I have. But I corrected them. If you don't correct a mistake with a child, Social Services takes that kid away.
I am trying my best to correct them... It's really hard attending high school AND college and my rigorous internship with the paper. Also, I have CHORES around the house, but I don't get paid for them. I do them everyday, or I get in trouble. I also have to take care of my younger sister's ALOT of the time...I really don't have enough time to get a job.

We live in a SUPER small town. We have two gas stations, a post office, hardware store and a school. Thats it... no joke. I can't get jobs at any of those places because they are all locally owned. I used to do odd jobs, but I can't find the time anymore.

Quote:
hen i was in high school on most nights i got an average of 3-5 hours of sleep
I can't AFFORD to do that. I would never pass my college courses along with my honors program courses in high school PLUS internship, community activities, and taking care of my family. I have a very rigorous schedule. And I do need sleep, or I would not be able to concentrate and pass my classes. Plus, my parents would NEVER allow me to work a late job OR take a job on Sunday. Ever.

I know I sound lazy, but I have a very busy life, live 20 minutes down a dirt road with VERY little job opportunities... I am trying my best, which is why I posted this. To get some ideas... not to get flamed because I am poor and can't afford nice things like an adult can.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #73
Carinata
Oh please lets not start a "Kill Emily" thread. Drama Drama Drama.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #74
COerriccaRN
Here is my schedule (roughly)

Monday: Stay at school until 3:30. Tutor english students until 5:30. Pick up sisters from babysitter at 6:00. Bring them home, cook supper and do chores until 7:30. Mom gets home at about 8:00 (depends). I study until about 9:00 or 10:00 depending on how much homework I have. Bed at 10:00-11:00

Tuesday: Same song and dance

Wednesday: School until 3:30. Tutoring until 5:00. Church from 5:30-6:30. Youth leadership team from 6:30-7:30. Home at 8:30. Homework until 9:30 or 10. Depends. Almost ALL nights I will have some homework from either high school, college or both.

Thursday. School until 3:30. No tutoring, but I have to pick up my sisters at 4:00. Chores and supper and babysitting until 5:30. 6:00, report to the newspaper office and meet with my editor. Brainstorm paper ideas. I usually get home about 8:00. Homework until 9:00-10:00.

Friday: School until 3:30. No tutoring, but I have FFA or FCCLA meetings every friday at 4:30-5:30. Pick up my sisters at 6:00. Do chores and wait for mom to get home. She gets home ABOUT 7:30 each night. Study from 8:00-9 or 10. Sleepy time.

Saturday: 6:00 am: Report to work at the paper (internship) I stay until about 4:30. At 5:30 I have tutoring sessions for my algebra class (I get tutored) from 5:30-7:00. I go home and get there about 7:30/45. I do homework since I usually have TONS over the weekend. Get finished around 8:30-9:00.

Sunday: We are not allowed to do much for religious reasons. Thats why I can;t get a job, or do homework on sunday.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #75
COerriccaRN
Quote:
Waiting tables is great part time money by the way
We have no restaurants... literally, you guys don't understand how FAR away from any town I live.

I like FAR FAR FAR down a dirt road, which is about 15 minutes from Spurg (with only two gas stations, post office, school and hardware store.) Its about ant hour to the nearest real restaurant... another two to the big city.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #76
Suzy
I'm not trying to sound mean at all, but why did you get 3 snakes with such a busy schedule and no way to financially take care of them?

I wanted a snake for 2 years before I got one. Now that i'm financially capable, i'm getting more. However, I am living within my means, and not overextending myself.
The best thing for your snakes, in my opinion, would be to either cut down on your busy schedule or rehome them.

I just want to be clear that i'm not trying to bash you. I just want to see what's best for your snakes. Maybe when you're out on your own, you can try to get snakes again.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #77
COerriccaRN
Quote:
I'm not trying to sound mean at all, but why did you get 3 snakes with such a busy schedule and no way to financially take care of them?

I wanted a snake for 2 years before I got one. Now that i'm financially capable, i'm getting more. However, I am living within my means, and not overextending myself.
The best thing for your snakes, in my opinion, would be to either cut down on your busy schedule or rehome them.

I just want to be clear that i'm not trying to bash you. I just want to see what's best for your snakes. Maybe when you're out on your own, you can try to get snakes again.
My snakes are fine. Our house temps are fine for them. Many people supply their snake with no heat. In the winter, I plan to talk to my parents about some extra money, but until then I cannot provide anything extra for them. I can feed them just fine and take good care of them. Our house temps and the pure texas heat is fine FOR NOW.

Also, I can't cut down. IDK where I could...

Old 09-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #78
danielle
I don't want to kill anyone David I promise. Emily from the way it sounds your schedule and inability to find a job is the reason getting a snake later in life would have been a better ideal. I was your age and wanted a literal zoo that I now finally have, but at that age couldn't have afforded so I went without a lot of the cool animals I wanted knowing better.

I know you feel attacked, but as you now know this is a passionate forum where people go out of their way to give their animals the best care. When we hear people say I'm too busy, too poor, and didn't know better we want to smash our heads against the wall and scream "then why take on a living responsibility"? You have to step outside for a moment and look in. If it were a young mother who provided the bare minimum skimping the necssities when it came to her kids you may have a similar view and owning an animal is no different.

You got snakes because you really like them and thats something everyone here has in common and can relate to. However, you took on a life and ALL the responsibilities that go with it. If at any time one is in the position where they know they can not meet an animals needs most would rehome the animal its the ethical and mature decision. When you are done with school and employed you will be able to do your research, pick that perfect pet, and provide for it. Now may not be the time

Many do keep corns with no heat though they do manipulate room temps to accomplish proper temps and even so one corn isn't like the other. I have one who NEVER uses his heat at all including after eating though the rest do. I have heard people on her say some of their corns regurge at temps barely over 80 but most don't. While your other two snakes are seemingly doing well without heat this could change, and obviously one is telling you something is off. You described his symptoms and set-up and we said provide heat. Instead of saying okay will do when the funds come in you say but corns don't need heat an expert told me so, its too expensive, I have no time to work, and will a heat mat for humans do for now. Responses like this get you flamed because they show your lack of research and inability to provide adequate housing. They spark more important questions about your ability to keep a clean cage, buy food, and seek medical care if your corn is injured or sick- and these are the things that set off snippy remarks. A good bit of advice I was given over and over at your age because I too had tactless big mouth "Its never what you say, but how you say it"

Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #79
Carinata
Emily I got 40 foot of heat cable from zoo med for 40 bucks! I used it to heat my entire rack to prime colubrid temps. I just put the snakes that need more heat up top and that adds more heat. Hope this helps.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #80
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
I don't want to kill anyone David I promise.
You better not kill no one or I will sick my hateling on your hateling LOL.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google