CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

The Poop Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
pridecity
The Poop Thread

I thought this might be very helpful to some of our new corn owners (and to myself). I'm hoping lots of people will pitch in to make this very complete. I'm asking for lots of clear pictures and details. Also, any corrections as well because I'm no expert. I'm also hoping that we can eventually make this into a FAQ and a sticky.

First, what does "normal" corn snake poop look like?

It might best be described as looking like bird poop. It has some dark stuff and some white to yellowish stuff. The white/yellowish stuff is urates or essentially the urine. The dark stuff may be brown or black and is the actual poop.

Now, this is really about all I know for sure. Can everyone else help out with the following?

1. My snake pooped some yellow gel-like stuff. Should I be worried?
2. There was a little blood/red stuff in the poop. Is this bad?
3. Is this a regurg or a poop? (I'd really like some good comparison shots for this one)
4. My snake's poop is green. Help!!
5. How do I know if my snake has parasites? (I know this one may be hard to get a picture of)
6. Is it okay to leave poop in the cage for a few days? I read somewhere that it can release toxins to kill the snake.
7. My snake hasn't pooped in a week! Do I have to take it to the vet?
8. Why does my snake poop in his water?
9. My snake stinks like his poop. How do I get rid of the smell?
10. Did my snake just poop on me? It's really strong smelling and yellow.

And any more poop-related questions/answers you can think of. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
ShenziSixaxis
1. I'm pretty sure it's just urates by themselves.
2. Pretty sure it is.
3. Regurges smell horribly. Poop does not.
4. QUIT FEEDING YER CORN VEGGIS
5. Mites are the most common one. You'll see little black dots on the corn moving around. A bad infestation or one that hasn't been treated may make the corn lethargic.
6. I just get rid of it as I find it, which is usually a few days (sometimes I don't even find it because my corn poops in one of her burrows for a long time).
7. Nope. If you're really worried, bath the corn. It helps make a bowel movement happen.
8. Look at #7. Either that or that's just where s/he is when they do it.
9. A bath should work. I think using a very mild soap is okay.
10. Which end did it come out?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
VickyChaiTea

No, that's most likely urates.

-Most likely, take your snake to the vet to be sure

3. Is this a regurg or a poop?
-Regurg usually retains the shape of the prey item, and STINKS. Way more than normal corn poopie.

-No idea, but my guess is that it's normal.

5. How do I know if my snake has parasites?
-I can't help you there, but my suggestion would be to bring a fecal sample or have you vet do a fecal smear to look for parasites.

6. Is it okay to leave poop in the cage for a few days? I read somewhere that it can release toxins to kill the snake.
-It's perfectly fine to leave in the cage for a few days, but always TRY to remove it right away.

-Goodness no, corn snakes don't poop very often, especially as adults.

-Because he wants to.

-Bathe him or her in water. Remember, whats warm to you is HOT to them.

-Most likely, it could be musk too I think.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
requin
- No, I think this is urates.

- Possibly, I would see a vet.

3. Is this a regurg or a poop? (I'd really like some good comparison shots for this one)
- I have never had a snake regurge but I've read on here that you can usually kind of distinguish mouse features. I've also heard that you can put the item in question into a disposable cup with some water and if it dissolves, it's poop. If it doesn't dissolve, you've got yourself a regurge...not sure how accurate that is but I've seen it mentioned here before and it makes sense to me. It seems like you can also tell by the smell...poop has a pretty distinct fishy-smell whereas most people seem to say that regurges smell like rotting flesh.

- Not sure on this one.

5. How do I know if my snake has parasites? (I know this one may be hard to get a picture of)
- This is kind of a broad subject since there are external parasites and internal parasites which have different signs/symptoms. If you're worried, have your vet do a fecal smear.

- It's not the end of the world to leave it for a couple days but I'm sure the snake appreciates it if you remove the poop ASAP. Plus do you really want your snake crawling around in its poop before you hold it?

- No, I would wait WAY longer than a week before worrying about seeing a vet. You can try letting the snake swim in some lukewarm water to see if the activity helps move things along.

- To spite you. Some of them just like to do that.

- Make sure there's no poop you've missed in the viv, then give him a bath in lukewarm water.

- Sounds more like musk than poop to me, but maybe.

BONUS: In my (very limited!) experience hatchling poop seems to be more of a uniform brownish color rather than the separate black/white parts. It seems to start looking more like bird poop once they're on fuzzies.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Sinsational
I have a question about poop. My snake had a regurg, one pinkie was not digested at all and one was partially digested. Well a few days later he pooped. I think. It smelt pretty bad but was white and black, and looked like previous poops. Is this normal for a regurg and a poop? Maybe part of his meal was digested?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Sinsational
Any body have any answers?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
95zclx
my Sonja usually poops right after feeding (from previous feeding), I leave her in the plastic tube for about 30 minutes after feeding...its nice cleaning after her in that thing, much easier!

so she poops once (sometimes, but rarely, twice a week)
it maybe coincidence that yours pooped after the regurge (previous feeding)

Old 04-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
95zclx
ha, i said tube, i meant to say "tub"

Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
luckycharm318
Well, this is the poop thread so I'll ask my question here.

Is this normal?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
juliekyle
Red face corn snake poop

My snake's poop looked identical to Shelby's picture. Thanks for the picture, Shelby! I want to know if that is normal, too. The yellow which turned quickly to a powder, was what made me most curious. It had a slight odor which I cannot say that I had noticed before. This was the first time I had been pooped on versus just having to clean the poop in the cage. I cannot say that I have noticed any odor from the snake before.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google