• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

wots the worst piece of reptile advice you've ever been given??

Lol, I love it when people try to give me the 'vegetarians art holier than tho' speech. Uh well why do we have canines then?? Anyway, I'm so surprised at the amount of people who seem to think that all snakes eat crickets. Wierd.

*laughs in memory* In like sixth grade this girl was going on and on about how cute her little mice were, and I (of course) said I have a snake...can I buy some of your pinkies I'm about out of frozen. The look on her face, Kodak moment then she said "You mean you nevcer taught it to eat like carrots and lettuce? Jessus meant for all of us to be vegetarians." To wich I repliead "Then why did he ake cows taste so good?"

this happened earlier today!!! i rushed home so u cud hear it!!!

guy in shop ("expert") : snakes hunt by vibrations in the ground

me: no, the taste the air with their tongues, which draws air into the Jacob organ

guy: i have owned snakes for nearly 20 years, i think i know everything about them...

me: so y do they flick their tongues out?

guy: they flick their tongues out?!

i swear to god that is real!!!

I think they are usually alerted to prey by vibrations and then (depending on how close prey is etc) they use olfaction and to a minute degree, vision.

i think its hilerious! i think Fred Ward is a great comedy actor!

plus some of hes lines in it are so funny!

(sorry to go off subject!)

They hunt with vibrations. Smell cant dectect how large a prey is. Thats how they determine weather to go after a huge rate, or a newborn *All snakes, not just corns* same thing applies to any snake.

good movie but how dumb can people be to think that they decet though the ground what a dumb @ss. and people say the ecocimy is low how about we toss all the people that dont know what there doing out of a job. :D

"Expert" in Scamp's pet shop: "You can house an 8-month-old corn with a two-year-old corn, but if they're in the same hiding spot the two-year-old could 'sit' on the 8-month-old, causing it to suffocate."

This could be true, but he didn't mention that the two-year-old could eat the 8-month-old, or that one or both of the snakes could get stressed out and go off feeding, etc.

To go a little OT,

There's a dessert dwelling snake that cruises along under the sand almost undetectably, following the vibrations of small forraging mammals and then strikes up at them.. I can't remember all the details but it was on a documentary I watched years ago.

I haven't been given too much bad advice but I do hate seeing animals housed inappropriately at petshops.

Actually I've been lucky, the worst advice I've been given was either
A: use Calci-sand for your snake bedding.

or B: You absolutely HAVE to have a heat lamp for your Corn snake cage.

Have to go with A: since the sand can actually cause him harm if ingested.

B: is just good intentioned advice on heating and lighting that happens to be wrong, you dont HAVE to have a lamp, but you DO have to have some kind of controllable heat source that wont cause burns when properly applied.

Ha ha oh me next! me next

"that corns hot side should be 95' "
"Their substrate can be this calci-sand stuff. People tell you aspen and that is perfect. their wrong"
"What size is your snake? (i tell them) WHAT!!! Their on baby mice. They SHOULD be on crickets. Way more nutritious for them."
"You can use these small pet pals aquarium (its a small blue aquarium mainly used for bettas) till they get bigger to move them to this 12"x12"x12" terrarium."
"They don't get any bigger then 2 1/2 feet"

this thread amuses me hehe.....
when i got my first snake the kid at superpet told me if i don't get a UV light my snake won't last even a year... plus they had my snow listed as snow motley... i didn't know for a few months that it was not a motley(i was still learning) oh and at that same store anerys are called "black cornsnake"

Haha we bought our normal as a balck cornsnake. The same damn store sells snows as butters, anerys as blackcorns, and amels as white albinos.

Back